Recording rain, thunder?

mjm620

I have a song that I think would be perfect to start out with some good rain and a big punchy thunder sound...how would I go about recording this? I was thinking maybe a 57 pointed at my gravel for rain sounds, but for thunder? Is there a clip I coulg use wthout going to a smelly mexican prison?

im sure if you search the web you will find some free copies of soundeffects such as rain and thunder. If not you could try a omniderctional condesor, but that might be a problem becasue they typicaly dont like moisture even if its under a covering ... but you could try.

im sure if you search the web you will find some free copies of soundeffects such as rain and thunder. If not you could try a omniderctional condesor, but that might be a problem becasue they typicaly dont like moisture even if its under a covering ... but you could try.

I agree, the easiest way to go would be to find some canned clips on the net.

If you are adventurous or otherwise intent on capturing your own sounds, for the rain I'd set up two mics a foot or two apart and throw a flat surface over them.

Two mics because rainfall in stereo sounds so much better than in mono, IMHO.

The cover surface for two reasons: first, to keep the mics dry and second, to allow you to choose a surface material of your choosing to get the sound that you desire (you'd record from underneath). It could be anything, but I'd probably start with a sheet of plexiglass and see how that sounds.

And make sure you have all power shut off and the mics unplugged on the dry end before you touch the microphones, both during setup and breakdown. ;)

[EDIT]As far as the thunder, I wouldn't record that myself; I'd definitely get a canned clip for that. Thunder means lightning. Lightning means danger with playing outside with electrical circuits like microphone cables hooked to mixers or recorders.[END EDIT]

G.

Last edited:
i did a recording of a thunderstorm from my front porch a few summers ago. i set up a pair of MXL 603's, spaced about 20ft apart (one on each end of the porch). i live out in the country, so it's easy for me to get a good recording.

the stereo effect is VERY cool--especially on cars passing by and thunder cracking from left to right, etc. a little unrealistic in the ultra-wide doppler effect, but still quite cool.

unfortunately, b/c i was recording with an m-audio mobilepre at the time (which has no inserts) straight to computer via USB, the really loud thunderclaps clipped the inputs and i've got some clipping in a couple very prominent spots. my kingdom for having had a limiter in the chain.

but otherwise, it was a very easy recording to make. you just have to get out there before the storm starts so you can get it all. i'm going to record another one this summer, probably with an array of mics.

the crickets that kicked in when the storm was over was ultracool.

cheers,
wade

First off...I HATE CRICKETS!

With that off my back, I did a bit of this a couple years back. Living near the divide in Colorado, we get some very regular and spectacular early evening thunderstorms. When I last did something like this, I simply opened the back door to the studio and set up an LDC pointing out the door. It's otherwise very quiet here. Our humidity is usually quite dry but afterwards, I put the mic back into it's little plastic bag and put the dessicant pack in there with it.

Back