Recording Question

tubbabubba22

I was wondering what is the best way to record an electric guitar amp. Should i use 1 sm57 or 2 sm57's? 57s are the only mic i have. Should i just use one in mono, and paly the part twice? or should i use 2 mics 1 on each speaker? or should i use 2 mics in xy shape? or 1 mic close and 1 mic far away? or should i use 1 mic in the front and 1 mic in the back? let me know what you guys think is the best technique. thanks alot.

Use one 57 and play the part twice.

Using two 57's on the same speaker is useless because it is only one source. The only way to make this 'stereo' is if you back the mics off far enough to pick up the room sound. But then you are micing the room.

Use one 57 and play the part twice.

Using two 57's on the same speaker is useless because it is only one source. The only way to make this 'stereo' is if you back the mics off far enough to pick up the room sound. But then you are micing the room.

yep! that's really the deal. it's more about playing it a bunch of times over and layering than anything else, some people even go really really crazy with this. I often do 4 or 5 guitar tracks per guitar part. 2 hard panned, 2 lesser panned, one a bit softer in the middle, when there aren't vocals to get in the way. But, there is no way to do things that better than any others, just multi-tracked guitars of the same part sound really nice.

ok thanks so much guys. so i will just grap 1 sm57 and slant it a little bit away from the center of the cone and try and find the sweet spot. then layer the guitars and pan them to different ears? sound good to everyone? thanks so much

Back