Recording problems with Tracks 1 and 8 on the 238

myurbanodyssey

So I got a 238, and it's in wonderful condition, but the previous owner said it has quality issues on tracks 1 and 8. I'm not that worried since he practically gave the thing to me, and six tracks are fine.

I suspect this is because those are the outside tracks and cassette tape is so narrow; fitting eight tracks onto the stuff may be pushing it. Is this a known problem with the 238? Any ways of getting around it?

Thanks!

It may be a worst case scenario, but the heads could either need relapping or are just wore out on the outside tracks. Beck, FM, Tim, or one of the other gurus could probably point you in a better direction with this though.;)

It's hard to say without looking at the deck, but outside tracks are usually the first to go from normal head wear with any format… cassette or reel-to reel. Don’t take that as a diagnosis. There may be other issues.

I own a 238. I never had any trouble with tracks and have not heard of that before. However, I have the 238 and a 464 in which both motors have croaked. I'd like to get the 238 fixed because it is a really nice machine.

So I got a 238, and it's in wonderful condition, but the previous owner said it has quality issues on tracks 1 and 8. I'm not that worried since he practically gave the thing to me, and six tracks are fine.

I know that's what the previous owner has said, but what do you think? Have you tried it out yet?

-MD

...it has quality issues on tracks 1 and 8

Was the previous owner a politician or corporate executive? :D

That's pretty broad and non-specific language!

Do they in fact not work at all or work with a lot of garble and indeterminacy to the sound? If the sound is garbled, it could mean a number of possibilities and if so, perhaps do a recording on those tracks and post the results in mp3 form so we could hear what it's doing and offer up a more qualified opinion.

Cheers! :)

Back