recording problem

im using pro audio 9. i am recording a song that has 2 guitar parts. i was wondering how i could record the first guitar part and then record the 2nd guitar part while listening to the first guitar part, but keep the 2nd guitar part on its own track and not have any of the 1st guitar part in it. does anybody get what im saying? thanks you!

Record the first guitar on one track. Then go to your console view and un-arm that track. Then open up another track (Track/Properties/Sources) and arm that track (the 'R' button lights up RED). When you hit record, you will be able to hear your first track, but you will be recording on your second track. You can also adjust the sound levels of the first track by moving the faders up and down.

I hope I explained this well. I guess sometimes the easiest things are the hardest to explain.

hey thanks for the quick reply. unfortunately im still having the same problem. this is still recording the sound from track 1 in track 2. how would i still listen to track 1 to like get my timing right and everything, but only be recording from my guitar and not from track 1 also? thanks again.

hey thanks for the quick reply. unfortunately im still having the same problem. this is still recording the sound from track 1 in track 2. how would i still listen to track 1 to like get my timing right and everything, but only be recording from my guitar and not from track 1 also? thanks again. [/B][/QUOTE]

I totally get what you are saying, I do that kind of thing all the time. I don't know what kind of equipment you have available to you, but if you have even a simple mixer with effect or monitor sends, you can plug your mic or guitar or pedal whatever into the mixer then use the outputs of the send to feed directly into the recording input of your sound card the sound from your live guitar only, while listening to the blend of both (assuming the output of your sound card is hooked into one of the mixer's channel as well). This is a over simplified explanation, if you listed all your gear it would be easier to help you.

Also make sure that you have "simultaneous playback and Record" enabled.

also, what Showdown said was good, but I'm not sure that he was thinking about the hardware side of the equation.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72730

hello...

I think vicevursa had the same general question. I could be wrong, but this might help you. If not, I should probably just learn to shut the hell up and stop NOT helping people....wish I could insert a smiley here, but I don't know how to do this in the message body, or to quote things the cool way that some of you more experience users do.

Thanks, and good luck,
Kirstin

well not too much hardware. just my guitar and my distortion/effects pedals. i have a sound blaster audigy platinum ex sound card that im using to record w/. it comes w/ a built in mixer software program but i have no clue how extensive it works. thanks for your help everyone. i appreciate it :)

If you didn't read the other thread, just choose another recording source (as in switch from "What U Hear" to "Line In")...

slayerment said:
do i mess w/ the aux to get it to work?
There shouldn't be a need to "mess" with the aux for any reason... ;)

If you already changed the recording source from "What U Hear" to "Line In" or "Mic" in the Windows Mixer (speaker-icon left for your clock in the Task Bar -> Options -> Properties -> Recording -> OK), then it might be something else (obviously)... How is what connected to what?

Back