Recording Problem,,,,,help=!?

dark_iscariot

Alright I have a pretty basic and shitty soundblaster card called analog devices-ad1815.
Im trying to record through the line in but when I do that it only captures the incoming sound from the left and not from the right,,,Ive tried several programs and mics/cables in and the same problem occurs.
Does anyone know what this might be about, Id love some help on it.

On the box it says 16bit Full duplex Stereo sound card, arent there alot of settings to screw around with or anything like that?

You are using a stereo cable? Guitar and mic cables will only give you a mono signal and they always use mono cables.

What software are you recording with? You might need to pan the input to center.

Alright, ive only tried guitar and mic cables, but the thing is I choose which line in I should record from, left or right, and if i pick only left, it works fine,,,but if I pick only right then no sound gets recorded at all.
Its not the panning ive tried, ive used Cooledit and Internet tape deck for instance...

i'd check the cables...make sure you got them all right... (stereo, mono business that is)...

otherwise if you've tried all the rest i assume the soundcares broke?

i mean, try to single out everything - and rule out what it is definately NOT.

btw, what mixer are you coming from?

dark_iscariot said:
Alright, ive only tried guitar and mic cables, but the thing is I choose which line in I should record from, left or right, and if i pick only left, it works fine,,,but if I pick only right then no sound gets recorded at all.
Its not the panning ive tried, ive used Cooledit and Internet tape deck for instance...

Dude, listen to what people are sayin to you. its your cables man!

Lets simpify

You see that little 1/8 jack at the back of yer Sound Card? you know, where your pluggin your stuff to be recorded?. I imagine it says "Line In" or "Mic In"

Well, in most consumer cards, those are stereo inputs. Meaning for each input, there are actually 2 inputs. a left and a right.

So for the "Line In" Jack, theres a "Line In - LEFT" and a "Line In - RIGHT". the same goes for the "Mic In". There is a "Mic In - LEFT" and a "Mic In - RIGHT"

So in essence, you actually have 4 inputs. 2 per socket.

What you probably are doing is instead of plugging in a stereo jack, you're plugging in a Mono Jack.

Look at the jack. Its a small prong with a single black (or gray) seperation near the end. Correct?

To access both Left and Right Inputs(Channels), it should have 2 of those seperations. That would be referred to as a "Stereo 1/8" Jack".. In some cases it may be called (rarely) a " 1/8" TRS Plug"

now you know the difference between jacks, If you want sound to record from both left and right channels to your computer (in stereo), you're gonna need it to plug it in with a Stereo Jack.

But if the problem is one of your speakers is busted, I'm gonna send a bunch of goons to your house :p :eek: :) :eek: :p

I hope that helps...

hoho alright, thanks but Im not quite sure if I understand everything though...=)
I have this little plug which i connect to my guitar cable which makes the plug small so i can connect it to my soundcard, so youre saying this plug is a mono plug?
Why does it only record on the left , shouldnt I be able to record from only left and then do another one only from the right in....?
I know, Im lame

dark_iscariot said:
hoho alright, thanks but Im not quite sure if I understand everything though...=)
I have this little plug which i connect to my guitar cable which makes the plug small so i can connect it to my soundcard, so youre saying this plug is a mono plug?
Why does it only record on the left , shouldnt I be able to record from only left and then do another one only from the right in....?
I know, Im lame

No, Because your mono plug only allows you to access the Left Channel... you can try putting it halfway in to access the right channel... :)

hehe thats cool=) I thought my soundcard was defect, but okay, Im supposed to buy another one of theese little plugs which is stereo then?

Since you dont have a mixer, heres a suggestion. Record in MONO !
Or, make a copy and put in on track two........pan track 1 full left and track 2 full right:)

Hehe yeah sadly enough that is what I have been doing=)
But then I tried to record to different guitars, one at a time, and make one the left and the other the right and there was a huge difference between the two recordings! But I need to get one of these plugs which is in stereo, how can I tell the difference from looking at a stereo or mono one?

A mono plug only has one band and a stereo has two. these bands on on the tips of the plugs........did'nt someone already say that

Yes! Im sorry, I didnt understand this
Look at the jack. Its a small prong with a single black (or gray) seperation near the end. Correct?
until now=)
Is it how many black lines there are on the plug you say?
Mine has two black lines?!

that's my question too, isomebody told me that they are called patch cables. i've always recorded mono..i like it better because you can always convert it to stereo after you've mixed it to your taste, but yeah, i think they are called patch cables..

A patch cable is simply a cable with two of the same plus on each end, usually short, for use in patching from one jack on a patch bay to another. There's no fundamental difference between a guitar cable and a so-called "patch cable." And I supposed a cable that interconnects between a 1/4 jack and a RCA jack or whatever might be called a "patch cable," though "adapter cable" seems more accurate to me. Patch cables won't help you record a mono source in stereo. A mono source (for example, 99.5% of all guitars and basses) has a mono signal. If you split the signal into two copies, all you do is get two duplicates of the identical signal. Record that and you have two identical copies of the same data, which is not stereo. It also takes double the drive space to store away, and for no good purpose.

Record the freaking thing in mono. Same with all your other mono sources (mics, bass). The stereo comes in the production -- how you pan it, and what sort oif effects you run the tracks through.

Oh, alright, but in the program Im using, I can only record from either left in and right in, but as I said the right in will not work because of the guitar cable is mono, I cant change any mono recording settings in this program. If I record in mono it should still be in both speakers, right? How can I accomplish this?

Back