Recording piano

McMajik

So I'm going to be recording an album with a friend in the next few months, and we've just found out we'll be able to record the grand piano in the massive main hall of our old school, because the music teacher is cool like that. VST's are the fallback plan, but this'll be fun so we're trying it first.

Now the dilemma I'm facing and hoping for some help with:

I have good microphones, but the only mics I have in pairs are cheaper ones. I have one C414b-uls, one Michael Joly modded mxl 990, one Shinybox ribbon mic, but pairs of Behringer B2 pro's and AKG C1000s. I was thinking of either using the B2 pros as close mics, the ribbon + c414 or mxl in a mid/side setup a bit further back, and the c1000s as distant room mics, OR micing the piano in mono close with the c414 or possibly the MXL or ribbon (or all three, to choose from later), and using the B2's a bit further back and the c1000s as distant mics and using those to get some stereo width.

I'd like to record in a way that'll give me as much flexibility as possible later on, since the school doesn't have a control room and I'll be in the room, monitoring with headphones.

So. Thoughts?

By the way, at this point I haven't heard the songs and don't know what they call for in regards to piano sound, so this'll all be subject to, uhh...tweaking closer to the time.

This is just a "this is what I'd probably do" thing off the top - keeping in mind that there are countless ways to skin this particular cat.

Use the B2's as the stereo pair - One low, about a third across the harp and roughly equal distance to the hammers (probably about 18" or so). One high about the same on the other side. Both just a couple inches over the braces. Shiny in the rough center over the soundboard about 8-10" to sort of pick up the whole thing, 414 a couple feet out of the 'nook' and C1000S's as a high XY or ORTF maybe 10-12 feet away (no hyper filters in the C1000S's).

Lots of flexibility for the mix there.

I love using piano in recording. Its a beautiful instrument.

That sounds like a really fun project. Good luck!

Back