Recording or mastering effect?!?!? How to?

ncmail

The Banana Man
I was wondering how to do the "effect" that is in the first 15 seconds of this song. Its like you are listing to it on a radio or in headphones...hard to describe the effect really. I hear this alot in my genre (pop-punk) and am a fan of it. Is it something you do in the recording process or in the masting/editing? And how is it acheaved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgG7BmDOwo0&ob=av2e

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

It means he just added that because the forum wouldn't let him post just "EQ", as there is a minimum of ten characters rule.

well now I feel like one haha. Sorry about that. Can this be achieved by turning the EQ all the way down or what?

I'm on my netbook currently, so the effect you're probably talking about is the kind of sound that always comes out of these speakers...

You say "radio or headphones", probably meaning small speakers. I usually refer to it as the telephone effect.

All you do is use an EQ plug-in to remove low and high frequencies. I would say cut off everything below 500 hz and everything above 2 kHz to start. Sometimes you may want to even bump up a frequency in the middle somewhere (maybe 1 kHz).

Search "telephone effect" here or even on Google and you'll probably get lots of results.

I've always heard that to achieve effects like that you can either record the band all playing together (not multi-tracked) with one or two room mics set far away from the area they are playing and then compress it a little bit in the mix, or you can multi-track it, mix it the way you want, then play it out of your monitors while recording with a mic about 10-15 feet back. You could also just use an internal laptop mic and EQ all of the low-end out :) But EQ alone works too.

I've always heard that to achieve effects like that you can either record the band all playing together (not multi-tracked) with one or two room mics set far away from the area they are playing and then compress it a little bit in the mix, or you can multi-track it, mix it the way you want, then play it out of your monitors while recording with a mic about 10-15 feet back. You could also just use an internal laptop mic and EQ all of the low-end out :) But EQ alone works too.

I think that's adding a lot of work to what amounts to a few bars of an intro when it could easily be achieved through effects on an already recorded bit of music.

I think that's adding a lot of work to what amounts to a few bars of an intro when it could easily be achieved through effects on an already recorded bit of music.
Yeah, but it could be fun !
One of the great things about analog slowness having preceded digital fastness is that now we have convenience and speed but then they had forced invention [which is not to say that digital has ruled that out. Invention isn't a matter of medium but us]. True, it was primitive, true it was time consuming and true, it seemed like travelling 2000 miles just to buy a bar of chocolate. But by golly, it was and still is fun. Even for a few bars. The other week my oldest son and I made a 250 mile round trip to Wales just to pick up a new set of tablas that I'd snipped for a song on ebay. I probably could've got them more conveniently in London had I waited a bit. But we had a great time ! Life isn't too short !

Yeah, but it could be fun !
One of the great things about analog slowness having preceded digital fastness is that now we have convenience and speed but then they had forced invention [which is not to say that digital has ruled that out. Invention isn't a matter of medium but us]. True, it was primitive, true it was time consuming and true, it seemed like travelling 2000 miles just to buy a bar of chocolate. But by golly, it was and still is fun. Even for a few bars. The other week my oldest son and I made a 250 mile round trip to Wales just to pick up a new set of tablas that I'd snipped for a song on ebay. I probably could've got them more conveniently in London had I waited a bit. But we had a great time ! Life isn't too short !

Definately another way to look at it :)

p.s. Congrats on the new tablas!

I'm on my netbook currently, so the effect you're probably talking about is the kind of sound that always comes out of these speakers...

You say "radio or headphones", probably meaning small speakers. I usually refer to it as the telephone effect.

All you do is use an EQ plug-in to remove low and high frequencies. I would say cut off everything below 500 hz and everything above 2 kHz to start. Sometimes you may want to even bump up a frequency in the middle somewhere (maybe 1 kHz).

Search "telephone effect" here or even on Google and you'll probably get lots of results.
I was hearing more the small speaker effect and gona say filter type; high pass, 300-500 like you say, maybe won't even need much off the top or mid boost, plus some small room verb to get your 'mics at a distance.

Thanks for the negative feedback, ncmail. Hope you found my help to be useful.

:mad:

Sorry I was out of town for the weekend with my band, we played 3 Halloween parties. Im gonna play around with playing the mix out of monitors and recording with the room mics and just mess around with a few things of that nature. My EQ is not able to do anything like that to my knowledge :( But thank all of you for the responses.

IDK I guess that is just my luck :( mine is not a DBX or anything special like that...I can not remember the make of it I will check in the morning and let ya know

Back