Recording one line to mixer and line to amp at the same time

Beatlefreek

Hi

Okay, this has been discussed before but I've found conflicting information, or opinions or suggstions that (I'm not sure) are applicable to my situation. Or confusing over which piece of gear I should be looking at.

This what I want to do:
I want to record two diffrent signals AT THE SAME TIME from my guitar by using some kind of DI splitter box.

My guitar would plug into the DI splitter box.

One line out from the DI would go to my pedalboard and then into my amp. The amp would then be mic'd, the mic run to my mixer, and then recorded to one track on my computer. (My Mackie mixer has a built-in firewire port that goes directly to the computer, so it's a "plug & play", no other interface required).

The second line out of the DI would go directly to the mixer and then to the computer and recorded on a second track. I would then be able to select the amp simulations I want on my computer (from the recording software plug-in options) at mix time.

So my question is, What DI splitter box would perform this operation that would not bust my budget (under $200 would be nice) and give me a nice clean, unadulterated signal from both DI lines out (one to the pedalboard/amp and one to the mixer)?

Specfic company names and product models would highly appreciated.

thank you.

Almost every DI can do what you are asking. Practically all of them have parallel input/output jacks so you can pass the signal to your normal pedals and amp setup, and they all have an output for the mixer.

I tour with Radial PRO DI passive DI boxes, about $100 each.

You can find DI boxes from ~$20 to several hundred $. Plug your guitar into the DI, send 1/4" patch to the amp and mic cable to the mixer.

Any bog-standard DI box will do this. You'll see they have an 'instrument in' and a 'line out' (or similarly labelled), as well as an XLR output. The XLR you just plug straight into the mixer, and the 'line out' runs into the amp.
Easy as that. Passive/Active both will do the job, no need to spend loads $ here, as Bersek539 suggests $100 is more than enough for a pro-quality DI box.

I use a thing called a Palmer Y box . It enables you to have one input but two outputs. I usually use it for my bass {so I get miked amp, line out and DI to my DAW} and it's a great little tool. resize ybox.JPG

Going thru an old bag the other week, I found a Y cable that I forgot I had. It wouldn't work on my bass but it worked on the guitar. So I fed the two Y ends to my bass amp and my guitar amp, used totally different settings on both and fired away. The result was interesting to say the least. I like the doing two separate guitar takes for the slight differences between them. But I also like the simultaneous amp take. One could argue that it's just a glorified copy and paste. Let them so argue. It's another tentacle for the squid, in my estimation and I dig it.

Back