Recording on the computer

kgoedman

Okay...first post here...thanks in advance for the help

So I have a Lakewood D1 guitar that is having a Fishman Natural 1 installed a week from now.
Once it is installed I would like to record myself on my laptop.
I'm assuming that I can't just go straight from my guitar into my computer, and since the people at the store aren't sure about computer recording, I figure I would ask here.
So....
What exactly is the setup (guitar to laptop) that I will need to have to record myself (basic, but with good sound)?
If there are steps in between, what are some brands you guys suggest?
Since I have a laptop, I guess I would have to get some kind of adaptor that allows the chord to fit into my computer, right?
Basically, any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and thanks again.
Peace,
Koan

First thing you need is a pre amp for your guitar. I know, the Fishman is a pre amp, but it's not. Look at the Art Tube MP, M-Audio Audio Buddy. Look in "The Rack" forum above for more ideas. If you get more into recording, you will soon be looking at audio soundcards MADE for recording music. Look around in the "Computer Recording" forum for help on which ones are good. One tip, you can get soundcards with pre amps built in and hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Lots of info is here if you search around. You'll soon see that the preferred way to record acoustic guitar is with a microphone through a pre-amp into a good sound card made for recording audio.

H2H

Back