Recording "old school" style

SGPIANOMAN

My friends and i have sort of like a vocal band type thing. We wanted to do a recording sort of the old timey way. Maybe us around one mic or maybe the harmony vocals on one mic and the main lead part on one. Accompaniment will be simple (just piano or something acoustic like that) Any thoughts on making a quality sounding recording this way?

if you want to recreate the same recording enviroment as then ...then the main thing is to impose the same limitations..ie everything on one take...if your feeling cash rich then get yourself a ribbon mike and a reel to reel.

I think we'll do something similar to that...I doubt i'll have the funds for a ribbon mic haha

I'm thinking of either going with my laptop for recording or using my boss br 1600....I'll wind up having to mic the piano too

I don't like ribbon mics too much- expensive and touchy, easily damaged. JMHO.

I would suggest something other than open-reel machine, too- again, why spend all that money for a touchy, expensive device?

So, my offering, arranged as
1. Recorder,
2. Mic(s),
3. Other devices:
4. Connection and use.
5. What to do.
"What It Does" in [brackets]
On the cheap:
1.Tascam or similar CASSETTE Porta Studio, with at least 4 mic inputs, [records up to 4 different tracks]
2. Four, maybe five or six, NADY-brand mics (they make some decent stuff for eye-popping low prices- far from the best, see the work "cheap," above) and 4 XLR cables,[converts sound to electrical impulses the recorder can use]
3. Mixer with 4 to 6 XLR connections (thus having 4 to 6 mic pre-amps), OR- may be unnecessary, if your Porta Studio had mic inputs and thus mic pre amps.[boost the mic signal high enough for the recorder to "see," allows you to control levels of the different mic inputs]
4. Mic>XLR cable>mixer OR Tube Pre's if needed>TRS cable>Porta Studio. One or two mic(s) on piano or other instrument, one mic on lead vocals, one or two mic(s) on harmony vocals. [Connects everything together to work as a system.]
5. Experiment and have fun. Keeps you from getting too wrapped up in all this and wishing you had never thought it up.

A bit more money:
1.Tascam DP-01, or similar, [records up to 8 different tracks, but sometimes only two at a time]
2. One or two, Shure SM-48's (not a typo- 48's are decent and less expensive than 58's) and 4 XLR cables, and one or two condenser mics.[converts sound to electrical impulses the recorder can use]
3. 3. Mixer with 4 to 6 XLR connections (thus having 4 to 6 mic pre-amps), two TRS cables, OR Two PreSonis Stereo Tube Pre's.[boost the mic signal high enough for the recorder to "see," allows you to control levels of the different mic inputs]
4. Mic>XLR cable>mixer>TRS cable>Porta Studio. One condenser mic on piano or other instrument, one SM-48 or such mic on lead vocals, one condenser mic on harmony vocals.[Connects everything together to work as a system.]
5. Experiment and have fun. Keeps you from getting too wrapped up in all this and wishing you had never thought it up.

I think that covers it. Cost could be as low as about $100 if you find everything in the "cheap" catagory used, to about $1000 if you bought everything new and got a bit lusty with quality.

Others here will, no doubt, have critiques of my suggestions. That's okay, I don't know everything.

One thing I would take issue with, if someone contradicted me on it - DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN.

Ribbons are great, bit let's not forget that most of them are low voltage and require a preamp with enough gain to be able to bring them up to normal recording levels; neither the laptop soundcard nor the Boss are going to have mic pres capable of that much gain.

Pianoman, key also in that kind of recording is to pick a mice-sounding space in which to do the group recording. If you can get the cooperation of a local school or church to be able to use their auditorium space for recording the vocals, that could go a long way to giving you a good sound.

G.

My friends and i have sort of like a vocal band type thing. We wanted to do a recording sort of the old timey way. Maybe us around one mic or maybe the harmony vocals on one mic and the main lead part on one. Accompaniment will be simple (just piano or something acoustic like that) Any thoughts on making a quality sounding recording this way?

Yes,Plenty of breathmints.

Back