recording notes out of order?

mcl116

I seem to be having a small problem that I'm not sure if normal or what. I recorded a piano track using my midi keyboard. It went well, but during playback I noticed that certain notes in a chord were played before others giving it somewhat of an arpeggiated effect, which is not what I wanted. When I went into the midi editor I was able to move the note(s) into the correct spot, however I can see this quickly becoming a problem with more intricate piano pieces. Is this b/c of latency? How can I fix this? Is this normal?

thanks

I seem to be having a small problem that I'm not sure if normal or what. I recorded a piano track using my midi keyboard. It went well, but during playback I noticed that certain notes in a chord were played before others giving it somewhat of an arpeggiated effect, which is not what I wanted. When I went into the midi editor I was able to move the note(s) into the correct spot, however I can see this quickly becoming a problem with more intricate piano pieces. Is this b/c of latency? How can I fix this? Is this normal?

thanks

Latency is normally linear. If 1 note is out of place, they all will be. You will find with chords that its humanly impossible to press all the keys exactly at the same time, they will be very small differences.

Is the latency leading or lagging the click track?

Latency is normally linear. If 1 note is out of place, they all will be. You will find with chords that its humanly impossible to press all the keys exactly at the same time, they will be very small differences.

Is the latency leading or lagging the click track?

well of course it not possible to hit at the same time but I'm saying like 2 of the notes in the chord will be played together and then 1 will not be. And sometimes when I play 1 note, in the key editor and during playback its like i played it once and then played it again when really I just held it down for a whole measure. If you're familiar w/ the cubase editor its shown as a small bar connected to a longer bar.

The click track is not lagging.

well of course it not possible to hit at the same time but I'm saying like 2 of the notes in the chord will be played together and then 1 will not be. And sometimes when I play 1 note, in the key editor and during playback its like i played it once and then played it again when really I just held it down for a whole measure. If you're familiar w/ the cubase editor its shown as a small bar connected to a longer bar.

The click track is not lagging.

I have 2 suggestions:

Your MIDI cable and/or interface is dodgy - something that would produce 2 notes from 1 hit could be a bad connection somewhere.

Make sure auto-q is turned off - this automatically quantises your MIDI notes to fit them into the tempo of the song. Sometimes it doesn't put them in the right place.

Getting two notes from one hit is something that I experience quite often.

However, I know the reason why I experience this.

I have two keyboards.

The first (an Evolution) is connected via USB to the PC. It's midi-out goes to a Roland keyboard. But this Roland is connected to the PC via its midi-out.

So when I hit a note on the Evolution, that note goes via USB to PC, and at the same time, via Roland and midi to the PC, where they are recorded twice in Logic.

So when I am doing midi stuff, I have to remember to unhook the Evolution from the Roland.

Is there a possibility that you have got two midi paths from the same device in to your computer?

I have 2 suggestions:

Your MIDI cable and/or interface is dodgy - something that would produce 2 notes from 1 hit could be a bad connection somewhere.

Make sure auto-q is turned off - this automatically quantises your MIDI notes to fit them into the tempo of the song. Sometimes it doesn't put them in the right place.

well I'm using a usb cable, so would I be able to eliminate that as a problem or could that still be it?

I will check to see if the auto-q is on

thanks for those suggestions

Back