Recording Multiple Tracks For One Song

kyoun1e

In Home Studio 2002, say I am recording 5 different guitar parts as part of a song. I'm unsure how Cakewalk takes all these tracks and puts them together for me...or, how I need to do this. For example:

* Clean electric intro (Track 1)
* Clean verse (Track 2)
* Clean chorus (Track 3)
* Distorted Verse (Track 4)
* Distorted Chorus (Track 5)
* Clean outro (Track 6)

When I hit play, does it play all of the above tracks in order? Do I have to specify this somewhere so that Cakewalk knows what to mix in where?

Thanks. KY

kyoun1e said:
In Home Studio 2002, say I am recording 5 different guitar parts as part of a song. I'm unsure how Cakewalk takes all these tracks and puts them together for me...or, how I need to do this. For example:

* Clean electric intro (Track 1)
* Clean verse (Track 2)
* Clean chorus (Track 3)
* Distorted Verse (Track 4)
* Distorted Chorus (Track 5)
* Clean outro (Track 6)

When I hit play, does it play all of the above tracks in order? Do I have to specify this somewhere so that Cakewalk knows what to mix in where?

Thanks. KY
HS2002 will play all the tracks simultaneously. Whatever is at on any of the tracks at the same point in time, will play at the same time.

You "tell" each part where it is supposed to playback by recording it where you want it to playback.

Don't get the "tell" each part.

Could you be more specific?

Somebody mentioned "cutting" and "pasting." Is this how you place the tracks in the right position after recording?

KY

No cutting and pasting. You simply listen to first track, and start playing the second track at the appropriate time.

IOW, if the first track was a vocal, and the second part was a harmony to the vocal, you would just sing the harmony part along with the lead. If you sing it at the same time, it will record and play back at the same time (leaving latency out of the picture for now).

If you are trying to make a "comp" track - i.e., a single track composed of multiple parts - you should lay down a full complete track of the entire song first, even if it's not the sound that you want. Then play your subsequent tracks using the first track as your guide. When you're finished you can go back and delete the original guide track.

kyoun1e, I think you might be getting confused with the cutting and pasting bit.
As Dachay says, HS2002 plays all the tracks simultaneously. Whatever is recorded on each of the tracks will be played together and in time, as the time marker passes over the events in the tracks.

However, you can move bits of your recording about in each track and from track to track using cut and paste commands. Thats how you "tell" HS2002 to play back. You just move the audio bits to where you want it to play, relative to the other tracks:D
And when you have got all the tracks with all the bits in the right places, you can then select your tracks and "bounce" all the tracks to a single stereo or mono track;)

Paul,

Ok, so these tracks play simultaneously UNLESS I move them to desired spots? For example, If I want guitar part 2 to play directly after 1 I'd need to "move the bits" directly after the point where 1 ends? And so on for part 3, 4, and 5?

Ok, a simple example. Could somebody walk me through how to do this with HS 2002?

(1) Clean guitar part 1
(2) Distortion guitar part 2

Goal: Create two separate tracks but then merge the two...(2) coming directly after (1).

If somebody can explain this as best they can understanding the Cakewalk interface that would be great.

Thanks. KY

The best way to get the part where you want it is to record yourself playing it at the right spot while listening to what's already been recorded.

In your example, if I understand correctly:

1. Arm track one for recording.
2. Record your clean guitar part on track one.
3. Create track two, if it's not already there.
4. Un-arm track one, and arm track two for recording.
5. Roll the song back to the beginning, and hit record.
6. Listen to the first guitar part, and get ready to jump in with the second.
7. Play the second part where it fits.

(This section now assumes that Home Studio works the same way as Sonar, which I expect it does)

Now if you want to merge those two tracks to save space, you should be able to just "grab" the image of the second track's recording, and drag it onto the first track. If you hold the shift key while you drag, you can keep it exactly aligned to the beat. The two recordings are now both on track one, and there's nothing more you need to do.

Skysaw said:
The best way to get the part where you want it is to record yourself playing it at the right spot while listening to what's already been recorded.
Which is exactly what I said 4 posts ago!
No cutting and pasting. You simply listen to first track, and start playing the second track at the appropriate time.
KY, have you actually tried to use the program yet? What aren't you getting here?

Skysaw...that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Dachay...I'm 35 years old with young kids and about 30 minutes of non-focused time at home to have fun with this. It's only at work when I have a break that I can really investigate this stuff.

And it sucks because all my equipment is at home!

Thanks for understanding.

KY

kyoun1e, actually, almost all your question can be answered & understood by trying using Cakewalk more often in serious way. All is easy, ( and I mean it realy easy like piece af Cake ). It would be a good idea to spend one of your weekend time screwing around with your Cakewalk. The more you ask without trying it seriously, then you'll be nowhere with it. No offense, and I know it sounds not cool, but that's all you can get...
Try your self, and we'll be here if you need some help.

;)
Jaymz

kyoun1e,

When I first got SONAR, I read the manual cover to cover. I had also bought a book called Sonar Power which I also read cover to cover. I had previously used a Roland 840EX which was a great stepping stone for me. But I agree with James, play around with the software an learn how to use it. You will be able to work out the answers to your question. It is a very visual program and you will be able to see how each component relates to each other.

Porter

Back