recording multiple tracks at once

chris857

Hello, I want to learn how to record mulitple tracks at once so i can put drums in stereo and stuff like that. For example, make a track for mic #1, another for mic #2, another for mic #3...etc..recording all at the same time. But my mixer/amp i have only has one main output so to do that i would need a seperate mixer and amp for each track since they have only one output each!! How do they do this in pro studios?? Do the have mixers that have an output for each input on the mixer?? And if so, what about the amps?? Do they need a seperate amp for each track too?? I hope you understand what my question is because i am starting to confuss myself.

Man,if you use a seperate mixer for each trach you record your drums,it would cost you thousands of dollars!
In general, depending on the amount of mics you use you can purchase a mixer with anywhere's from 4 to 48/64 tracks.
I use an Alesis studio 32 which has 16 mono channels.
I sometimes mic a drum kit using 4-6 mics,thus using 4-6 channels on my mixer. The one positive aspect of my mixer
(which has very few)is that each channel has a direct-out function. Meaning,each track I record can be sent directly on the appropiate track of my Adat recorder. I sometimes record onto a computer,using a Mackie 1202VLpro (which has 4 channels)using CakeWalk Pro software but when recording on computer I just use the Mackie for it's fine mic pre-amps.Mind you I'm still in the learning phase of computer recording,but there are many individuals here who can assist you with that aspect !
Peace

I am recording to my computer using a MIDIMAN DMAN2044 and Cakewalk Pro Audio. I am not a pro or anything and just record to make demos for my band so don't make fun of me. I send all of the mics into a Yorkville MM6 6 channeled power mixer and send that out through the main out into the MIDIMAN and into my computer. If you guys have a better way i should do this without having to spend a whole lot of money (i am willing to spend some), please tell me about it. Also, how much does one of those mixers cost that MISTERQCUE was talking about?

You can only record as many tracks as you have inputs simutaneously. (I think 4 right?) Your mixer's main out is likely stereo (or maybe not) So think of this as two outs. Left and Right. You would use the Pan pots to route them either way (If you have pan- kinda sound like you might not)
It all depends on your mixer. Do you have inserts? Aux sends?
Sounds like you could really use a more flexable mixer. Check out the Mackie 1202 ($375) or 1402 ($550). http://www.mackie.com
or if you are on a more limited budget check out the Behringer mixers. http://www.behringer.com
Go Mackie if you can though.

Another route would be to use external mic preamps. you just run the output from the pre into the inputs on the sound card. The ART MP is like $90. I have a Mackie 1402 and a couple outboard pre's- choices are good. :)

-jhe

Back