Recording Muliple Tracks

gwayms

Ok, I know this is probably a bonehead question.
I have Cubase and I am using an M-audio mobile pre with two inputs. I am trying to record an acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time with two mics. I have one condenser mic and a Shure SM58. How do I record both mics separate, right now they both record the same exact thing. I think both might be recording on the same track.

The best thing to do at this point for you is to read the manual that comes with the software for cubase and your soundcard.

I'm not saying this to be mean but if you are missing something this basic then there's a good shot that you are missing alot of other fundamental information that will prove to help you in your endeavor.

Other than all that, you just need to arm two tracks, one for each mic, to do this.

Last edited:
yes, read the manual.

in the mean time, check out the vst connections window to see which input is routed to which bus in the software, then check the inspector to make sure each bus is connected to the right track.

Yes, do as these guys say, check out the manual. Another pretty helpful book that I got was that Cubase power book they have at guitar center (that's where I got it anyway). I'm still using SL3, don't know if they have a book for C4 yet...

Also, depending on how you have the mics set up, there seems to be a lot of potential for sources to bleed to both of the mics. So, you still could be getting vocals in the mic for your guitar and vice versa.

Good luck!

Well, I'm still using Cubase SL 2.0, (ancient I know), but I'm sure the same applies with newer versions. Check your VST connections for routing and then make sure each track has the correct input selected.

Back