Recording moniter question

Diverdown

I have some Pevey PR 15 and Pr 12 Speakers with my PA
Are FOH speakers considered suitable for recording?
My other option is some SPL 3000 home stereo speakers I have.

Im sure this has been posted a bazillion times throughout this forum but was hoping for a specific answer re my speakers and perhaps a bit of a disertion on why studio moniters should have certain charectreristics

Thanks and happy hoho:)

Most (all?) speakers, looked at within a given response window, tilt +/- within that 'range in all sorts of different ways. PA speakers are likely going to be voiced' quite a lot even on top of those 'typical variations' (double whammy? There are also distance-to-listener' pattern considerations (look up 'near field' vs 'far field monitoring.. For example simple inexpensive (relative :) small 'monitor would likely excel at getting close to 'true near field sound (even if it might some limitations in the very bottom octave and high volume output. (the Peveys are going to be light on the bottom two octaves..

Here's a site with some hi fi speakers measured that migh be interesting. All those little 2 and 4 db 'scoops and rises add up to why every speaker has a 'sound.
http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Now on top of that are the +/- 10-20 db swings from the room....
Bottom line is we use the best of what ever we can. Maybe even work with both while learning and being aware of each one 'errors'? Good music can be made regardless of all this.
;)
Happy hunting.

Last edited:
For the time being, I think you are better off going with the home stereo speakers.

The FOH speakers may not give a sound detailed enough for monitoring.

(Mind you, the SPL 3000s may not either, I don't know much about them. My recommendation was based on an assumption that they are of reasonable quality).

I've used PA speakers as monitors. One of the biggest problems I found was you need to turn the volume high enough to drive the speakers in order to get a "cloce to true" sound. Even with enough volume you still need to be familiar with how the speakers sound and which frequencies they may not reproduce acurately. If you are in a place where volume is not an issue for monitoring/mixing then you can use the speakers you have and probably get fairly decent results, though I doubt many people around here would recomend it.

Thanx for the feedback guys I guess Ill just have to experiment and if I find them biased one way or the other perhaps I can compensate
cheers
P

Back