Recording / mixing vocals: Arcade Fire style

RyanHubris

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this band, but trying to emulate and capture the pure emotional energy in their album Funeral. I know it mostly has to do with some kind of reverb, and maybe an amp sim? But when I twist the knobs around I really have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone could shed some light I would be very grateful. Thank you!

As someone who has known The Arcade Fire since their first shows (my little brother was their drummer on the EP and for a few years before the LP came out), I'm telling you that the power that comes out of that band is coming from the musicians and the way they play their songs. There isn't a reverb or amp simulator in the world that's going to re-create that. They recorded at Hotel 2 Tango studio in Montreal - a studio that isn't at all known for rock albums. When they told me they were recording there, I was actually worried that it wouldn't come out right. :)

In all honesty, I've been saying for years that Win writes the best songs I've ever heard. Wait for their next album. I have a feeling it's going to deliver the way we all want it to.

They recorded to different tape formats using the studio gear at H2T. If you think looking on their website will help, search for Hotel 2 Tango and you'll probably find something.

RyanHubris said:
trying to emulate and capture the pure emotional energy in their album Funeral. I know it mostly has to do with some kind of reverb, and maybe an amp sim?
Are you serious??? You think that the emotional intensity comes from a digital effect?

No, friend! They are a band that is thoroughly in love with their songs!

I've been thinking about this question for the past few hours. The answer really is that these guys have this much power just in who they are as people. Talk to Win, Regine or any of these guys for more than 2 minutes and you'll know where the power comes from.

The first time I heard Funeral, I was actually disappointed. I honestly think that they're capable of doing a better album than this one. Give them a few years. Not to say Funeral isn't great - it's just not everything they've got.

Yea I'm certainly aware of the power and emotion in the way they play (live and recording I assume) but there is a certain sound, very cure / smith like in the vocal production. I'm not saying theres some kind of production method unique to the Arcade Fire, but more or less asking what kind of finishing stuff goes on the vocals.

Back