Recording MIDI Help!

notsocoolguy

Hey guys!

Ok heres my situation for yall... I'm doing a live recording of sorts... Well will have 8 mics, or DI's going into a firepod, and then we need to record midi from a keyboard... The downsides are... We will have pretty much no set up time, so theres no room for messing round, so I need to be able to set it up FAST! And we need to be able to monitor the midi, so we can play as if he was playing a piano...

Ok thats confusing! To break it down, I need to know how to record a keyboard using the midi output... And monitor it, using the stock reaper stuff... Sorry, I know this is explained really really roughly! But if anyone can desypher it and give me an answer it would be MUCH appreciated!!

describe the setup and Ill make you a template...Ive used the firepod with low latency for a free reaper projects

Ok the set up is as follows...

5 mics and 3 line in's all going into the firepod, into reaper recording to 8 seperate tracks... Then a keyboard with a midi out going to the firepods midi in, into another track on reaper... I think thats all... Cheers man!

Oh sorry... Full lines sheet...

Ins
1 OH L
2 OH R
3 Kick
4 Percussion Mic
5 Gat Mic
6 Gat Di'd
7 Bass Di'd
8 Vox mic

Outs
1 Channel 1 of headphone amp (Running in-ears)
2 Channel 2 of headphone amp (Running in-ears)
3 Channel 3 of headphone amp (Running in-ears)
4 Channel 4 of headphone amp (Running in-ears)
5 Power amp (Running monitor wedge)
6 Power amp (Running monitor wedge)

Then hopefully midi in... Cheers!

OK, here is a template

http://shup.com/Shup/5267/notsocoolguy.RPP

Im assuming 7 and 8 are the master CR out

You will notice on track 4 I have Chanmix 2 in the fx insert so that while you record and see both the DI and the mic, you only hear the mic as per this video:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Guitar_Tricks_Part_1

You can delete that easily enough if you want.

Next I have sent all recording channels to all the monitor outputs post fx/prefader so that you can make 6 individual monitor mixes, none of which go to master.

Wow thanks heaps man!! But you'll have to help me one more time...

When I open than file, it's just a whole bunch of txt... Not a reaper project file, which I assume it's meant to be...

REAPER files are meant to be human readable, so that if you were crazy enough, you could mix a song just using notepad.

Save that file as *.rpp and reaper will open it

Actually no worries man! Got it all sorted! Thanks heaps!!

Ok, last question now... Will this allow us to monitor the keys as a piano sound?

thats the tricky part...

thats just recording midi, assuming your keyboard's audio output is hooked up to a mixer or something...of course you could record its audio at the same time, OR, throw a VST-i on the midi track which then would let you hear it

How strong of a PC is this?

It's a fairly strong PC... Not sure of exact specs, it's my mates pc. Ah, so just chuck a VST-i on it, sweet thanks heaps for all the help!!

Oh hey, just looked at your file a bit closley... Just thought I would point out, the Di'd Gat and the Miced gat, are two different players\gats... Sorry if that wasn't made clear! It's no worries! I know a fair bit about reaper, actually I like to think I'm pretyt compitent when it comes to using it, it's just the midi side of things I have NO experience with... But this recording date leaves no time to mess round getting a feel for midi :(

Back