recording metal guitar sound

discordJF

I'm currently trying to get a good recorded metal guitar sound (old Metallica, Fear Factory, Pantera) for my band's demo. All the other instrument tracks are done and they sound great, but no matter what I do, I can't get a good sound recorded for the guitar. I use a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and an Ibanez Universe. The sound coming out of the amp is great but when I try to record the sound, it sounds really bad. Right now I have the 1680 with one effects board, two ART mp mic preamps, an alesis 3630 compressor, 4 shure sm-57's, 2 sm 58's and an akg d-112. Somebody please tell me what I can do with all this stuff to get the sound I want or something at least close to it sounding.

I am just going to tell you what I would do with your equipment. Crank up your Amp nice and loud and make sure the sound coming out is cool (you say that is the case at the moment). Then let somebody play the guitar and you put your ear as close to the speaker as your ears will hold. Try to find a sweet spot, it's usualy just off-centre from the middle where the sound is the cleanest. Then just stick the mic right in there (one of the sure mic's). Then its just a matter of tweeking the levels so it doesn't distort.

I agree with Helmut. Put your finger in one ear, and use the other to "stand in" for the microphone to find a sweet spot. Do it a lower volume, of course, and then crank it up after you've found a good placement.

If the amp is on the floor, try gettin' it up in the air a bit. Watch out for rattle if you set it on something, the mic finds ways to hear that stuff.

A different mic pre-amp might help, since you're recording to digital. The Joe Meek pres seem to get good reviews for guitars. If you have access to an analog recorder and can figure out a way to sync the tracks up, that can work really well in some situations. Cut multiple tracks as a test, and compare 'em side by side.

If you find something that works, don't assume it's always going to work. What makes the guitar sit really well in one mix might sound like poo on another song. To the man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail ;).

And if all else fails, put a snippet up in the mixing clinic. There's a ton of combined listening experience around here. Good luck.

Yup....all the above really...

I can only suggest taking your time and listening close. I'd say use one 57 on the amp, which by the way, should be killer amp for what you are doing. Try recording several small lead lines with differant settings each time, along with mic placement and you are sure to come up with THAT sound!

Or, instead of damaging your hearing you could put on a pair of sealing headphones, put the signal from the mic into them, then either have someone move the mic around while you play, or move it around yourself (i.e. move the mic, play a little, move the mic, play a little, etc).

That way you're hearing exactly what the mic hears instead of approximating what the mic hears by putting your ear inches from a cranked up amp.

If you do insist on putting your ear in front of a speaker cabinet, PLEASE use decent hearing protection. You can find out more about musician's earplugs by contacting Veronica Heide from the Audible Difference:

earlady@aol.com

Your ears are the most valuable piece of music equipment you have, and they can't be replaced!

CT

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 07-05-2000).]

I've had luck using more then one mike set up try one of the shures right on the speaker as suggested and another a foot or two away from the speaker (experiment with distance) then record each to seperate tracks and mix then together or send them both to a mixer and then mix them together on one track.
I've also had luck using one track with just distortion and using the second track with the processor effects (one track is used direct as oppossed to miking)creating a stereo type guitar sound

Back