recording live

dolecek1

im recording a live show tonight.i have always used acidpro 5.0.but then again i do techno.the band im recording is hard rock.so my question is does acid have the best audio engine or should i use cool edit pro? or perhaps something else

Recording live? The best software is the stuff you're familiar with. Change if you want, but do it some other time.

cool thanks, the bad thing is i have a m-audio audiophile 2496, so im gonnahave to record everything in one channel, is there any alternative that i have not thought of?

The audio engine doesn't come into play when you are recording. Only when you are mixing does the audio engine have anything to do with anything. You shouldn't have to mix these down, just take the wav file and burn it to a CD.

it shouldnt sound terrible you just wont have the mixing options that you would with a multiple input firewire or usb device.

It is going to sound like it does. Live board mixes usually don't sound very good for a couple of reasons:

1. When you are mixing the show, you are mixing against the sound coming off the stage. The two combine to become the sound of the mix. Your recording will only consist of whate was sent through the PA. (If the guitars are really loud coming off the stage, they won't be very loud in the board mix)

2. When you are mixing the show, you are mixing against the sound of the PA in the room. Besides the obvious EQ'ing on the mains, the crossover settings and the number of amps for each frequency band will all play a roll in how the mix comes out. (If you have 5000 watts of sub and 1000 watts of mids and highs, the board mix will be thin to compensate for the PA)

Back