recording live with pc

freksho

I own an Akai MPC2000XL drum machine and I also have a Midiman Midisport 2x2 hooked up to my computer... I also have Ableton Live and Cubase for software.. What I want to do is record everything I am doing live from my MPC.. Then I can take a session of me playing the akai, export it as a .wav file, then edit it and loop it up.. I would also like to do that with my Synth.. But I can't figure out how to record live stuff.. Suggestions??

Subtract the recorder from your equation. Follow the signal back from whatever speakers you are using to hear the sound and when you find a line level signal, plug THAT into your recorder.

If the issue is too many channels and not enough inputs, either mix down live (you need a mixer for that) or overdub them with as many inputs at a time as you DO have available.

so how could I record my synth live?

Ok, so I want to record the actual sounds that are coming LIVE from my synth to the computer... How do I do this?? Would I need to get some monitors or could I just use my headphones??

Only the crappiest of synths (like my Yamaha keyboard has built into it) would fail to have a line-level out jack.

The MPC2000XL has this:

Stereo output: 1/4 in. phone x 2, unbalanced +11dBu, output imp. 100 ohms; Max. output level +17dBu

AND THESE:

8 individual outputs: 1/4 in. phone x 8, unbalanced +11dBu, output imp. 100 ohms (optional); Max. output level +17dBu

Take your pick! Run any one of these into your soundcard.

Back