Recording live in one room.

superstupid

We have a Tascam 428mk2 4 track recorder, a Yamaha EMX5000 powered mixer, JBL JRX PA monitors.

We have 2 electric guitars, drum machine, bass, lead and backing vocals to record.

The thing is, we can't figure out if there is a way to record all this together. We can get it all run through the PA, but I think the problem is mostly that we need to run the drum machine and vocals through the PA at monitor levels,and our guitar amps overpower everything.

Would headphones be the simple solution to all this?

We kinda rely on being able to see each other as it is.

Just run your vocals, bass, and drum machine through the PA. The cabinets from the guitars will be plenty loud. Now you'll need to setup one room mic. Move the mic around a little. You'll have to get the sound equial in the room yourself, being you will only have one audio source. Just make sure that you can hear all instruments well and press record.

It's not going to be great, but it's a great way to start learning how to play w/ your sound....and the #1 thing.....you have to actually be able to play and sound well to record well....everyone seems to forget that....it's always, "well I'll do it right on the recording, or we'll fix that later...."

superS - with respect your life would be a lot easier if you could use
a friend or familys personal computer.
as long as its pretty new. ie: pent 3 or above.
i recommend an amd athlon. what i use.
then put a delta sound card in it. plus my favorite multitrack software
powertracks (pgmusic.com 29 bucks). and using this you can record 48 tracks on a pc and record your band and mix and make a cd of your band.
heres the breakdown of cost...
1. mics - you already have them do you ?. so zero cost.
2. amd computer , about 500 bucks. or a used machine about 300 bucks.
3. i would suggest not using a pa to record but instead consider a yamaha
mg mixer. (120 bucks ?) lot of folks like these for recording. in a pinch you could use the pre's in your 4 track or pa mixer to record to the pc i guess.
4. delta sound card - i think around 250 plus powertracks software 29 bucks.
so around 1000 bucks all told.

alternatively another way is to get a second 4 track cassette machine. record 4 tracks on one then mix to 2 tracks on the other.
then mix back to stereo on first 4 track and add 2 more tracks etc.
the thing to be aware of is tape hiss as your bouncing tracks.
some people use a vhs hi fi to bounce to/from instead or a normal cassette deck.
it can be done but requires some real track planning.
another way might be to find a used tascam or fostex 8 track tape machine like a tascam 38 to record to. but for convenience and editing in all honesty pc cant be beat.
just some ideas to ponder.

Hey Dude,
Where are you from? Are you close to KY? My recording services are for sale if you're nearby :0)

Otherwise, put a pair of condenser mics in an X as far out front as your pa speakers are apart (making a perfect triangle). Record a stereo track and then listen to it. turn down what is too loud or turn up what is too quiet. Repeat this process until you can live with the result.

Back