Recording levels

allenk

Hello,
I was wondering what levels as far as db do you shoot for when recording drum tracks. Im trying to get a good full sound thats not weak, are there
certain levels that work the best. Im new to recording I have CEP 2.0
Thanks in advance for any info.

Typically, you want everything from your tracks to your mixes to sit somewhere around 0dBVU which is around -14dBFS. You DON'T want to take it to the red, you DON'T want to "hoard bits," you DON'T want to "make it as loud as you can" on the way in.

You certainly don't want to "go as high as you can before it distorts."

If you record (AND mix) using "normal" levels, you keep some precious headroom. If you track everything as hot as you can, you're attenuating everything during mixdown in the first place, and then you'll be here going "My mixes don't sound "pro" for some reason" next week.

Use your headroom. ABUSE your headroom. This is how it's done "downtown" - This is "how the pros do it." They do NOT use up all their headroom - Especially now that there is more headroom available in recording than ever before.

Everbody wants to use up all their headroom during the mastering stage anyway - Even if you're "self-mastering" your own tracks, do yourself a favor: If you're going to use up all your headroom, do it ONCE - Not every single chance you get.

I think a lot of people do it because they think it will make their project "louder" in the end - When in reality, most mixes that come out of the mastering phase at ridiculously loud levels came in with HOARDS of headroom. Mixes that are riding the top all the time are notoriously problematic when it comes to sheer volume in the end.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that if you record on a minidisc recorder you should record fairly hot, because if your recording level is too low the loudest sounds will get picked up but some of the softest sounds will be lost. Is that wrong?

richardpayne said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that if you record on a minidisc recorder you should record fairly hot, because if your recording level is too low the loudest sounds will get picked up but some of the softest sounds will be lost. Is that wrong?
Minidisc is a compressed, lossy format. This is advise only good for low resolution recording. Most people on the board are able to record at 24bit which gives you the ability to record at levels that leave headroom. Minidisc is not pro audio, it is more like MP3.

Back