Recording levels - Guitar via Interface into Cubase

David_VI

Howdy folks!

I'm experimenting with Cubase and my Interface, I'd like to be able to record rough demos that sound pretty good.

I'm using a guitar with active pickups, going into a Tascam US-144.
The knob on one side of dial says Line and other Mic.
I've no clue about recording compared to people here, i'm mostly figuring it out..

But what levels do I aim for? with that dial if I move it so when i play the guitar hardest the light on the interface goes orange, sometimes red. Is this correct?

The signal once in Cubase seems very low, unless i'm full out strumming, which i'd rather not. The wavelengths that appear rarely ever hit the top and bottom..

I then use guitar rig as an insert effect to get various tones or add disortion. Which makes the volume different once again with all its different input and output volumes..

I'm confused at what levels I should be after to enable the best signal to work with.

Thanks for your help!
David

Just a follow up to show what ive discovered so you can be more specific I hope.

In the cubase mixer there is a fader for the interface's input. This is set at 0.

If I set my knob on interface so the light remains green and only goes orange if I attack the strings extremely the Cubase mixer's readout next to the 0.00 reads -0.0 and will only go into the red (0.00?) if I attack the guitar.

Should the interface remain at 0.00? What level should I be aiming for when playing the guitar normally?

Hope this helps with your help!
Thanks
David

Everything at unity, set your first "post-sound" level to hit your converters at around -18 to maybe -15dB(FS)RMS.

More here if you're bored: http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/html/blog_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.html

Thanks.
I will read your blog, I believe I took a look at it while searching the forums., i'll have to take a proper look and see if I understand it later when I have time!

What do you mean by post sound? I'm quite new to this when it comes to terms.
And Converters?

Hope this doesn't trouble you!
Thanks
David

Since your interface doesn't have proper meters, you should use the meters in Cubase. You want to set the levels so that when you strum a chord and hold it, the level is about half way up the meter.

The recording level is what really matters, the level coming out of the guitar rig plugin only matters in the context of the mix. If the guitar is too loud, turn it down. If it's too quiet...

Thanks for your time,

When you say hold a chord, do you mean the meter is half way all the time? because obviously a chord held is going to fade out and not sustain forever at the same volume you strum it?

Thanks
David

Thanks for your time,

When you say hold a chord, do you mean the meter is half way all the time? because obviously a chord held is going to fade out and not sustain forever at the same volume you strum it?

Thanks
David

When you first hit the chord, you should peaking about halfway up the meter. Playing normally, of course. This gives you room to play louder or softer as the song requires.

It's just a guideline to get you in the ballpark. No hard requirements. Basically, if it sounds good, then it is good.

Oh, the converter Massive mentioned is your interface.

peace.

Thanks for your time,

Thanks
David
there are three stages to a strum.
1. The attack. This is when you are actually plucking the strings
2. The sustain. This is right after the attack
3. The decay. This is when it fades.

The sustain is what you want about half way up. The attack is very fast and its level doesn't matter as long as it's not clipping.

Back