Recording Level

fenderguy4life

I've been going direct just to get a grip on my process on the computer/AI side of things. I'm ready to start recording with mics. I found very quickly that a fingerstyle rhthym and lead track on acoustic requires my AI input to be cranked up way higher than direct. Is this normal? I'm using an SM57 on an acoustic guitar. My room has carpeting and bare walls in a loft setting.

This is normal. A 57 is a dynamic mic, those tend to require more gain, especially on quiet sources. It's completely normal.

Try an SDC on acoustics. Then you wont need to crank the gain. If the A1 has phantom power.
Even try a pair of SDC's for a stereo recording. But watch out for comb filtering and Phase issues.

What is an SDC?

Small Diameter Condensor mic. Here's list of some condensors, both large diameter and small...

Condenser Microphones | Sweetwater.com

There's many ways to capture a good recording of an acoustic. I personally don't think a 57 fits into any of those schemes, but....

I usually use a $60 MXL condensor or a $250 Studio Projects C1 for my acoustic.

A friend did a beautiful guitar part for me using this combo set...

MXL 990/991 Recording Microphone Package | Musician's Friend

The SDC was up close to the 12th fret and the LDC was back a few feet.

Peruse this forum, there are plenty of conversations on how to record an acoustic. Plus there is a stickie at the top of the Recording section where the writer went through and explained his set up. Great stuff

Here it is...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...iques/acoustic-guitar-recording-101-a-290919/

Hey!! Welcome to the site!!

Back