Recording in Sonar w/ stock card

rweiss

Heya, I've got my MIDI keyboard hooked up to my laptop via an M-Audio MIDI-to-USB device, and I'm wondering if there's anyway to be able to record (and playback) the MIDI inside Sonar 4 with my laptop's audio card (crappy Realtek thing). I know Sonar doesn't usually allow this, but does anyone know of a way to atleast record with this stock card, either MIDI or normal audio?

Thanks,
Ryan

You should be able to do it no problem, just patch your MIDI track to a softsynth (any of them that come with Sonar, like the Dreamstation) and have that soft synth output to your soundcard.

The problem is, when I start Sonar, I get that error message: "The following drivers do not support the current audio format: Realteak AC97 Audio". Normally I use the Firepod, but I don't have it anymore, so I'm wondering if there's a way around this.

Oh ok gotcha... you may be able to do it if you switch your drivers to MME in the Audio Options... not ideal for latency, but it might be a work around...
Also, I'm not sure what sampling rates your card supports, but you may need to work at 44.1/16.
I'd say to use the Wave Profiler to set it up, although every time I use it I end up having to tweak some settings myself anyway...

You could Try installing Some Generic ASIO Drivers that should Let you use your Realtek Audio in Sonar in ASIO Mode....

Try installing the "ASIO4ALL v2.0" drivers and then configure them and then select ASIO Mode in Sonar and try useing your Realtek card to Output...

It"s worth a Try...

Cheers

Wait a sec...i checked out the screenshots of ur audio settings. Why is the slider bar(1st pic) set all the way to the left at such a low latency? It should be in-between 'Fast' and 'Safe' since ur soundcard is not made for recording purposes.

Wow, the ASIO4ALL stuff worked. Had to disable/restart/enable again, and for some odd reason, it works. I am forever in your debt.

Thanks,
Ryan

Back