freksho

This is my setup so far..

I have:
P4 2.66 ghz, not sure about RAM,
Akai MPC2000XL MIDI Production Center
Alesis QS6.2 Synth
Midisport (USB) 2x2 (w/ 2 midi cables)
M-Audio DUO Mic Preamp (USB) w/ Shure 57 mic and cable
Sony-MDR600 Stereo Headphones (No amps or monitors, do I need some to record??)

what I want to do is record my music live to the computer then cut and edit my riffs down and loop them up in FruityLoops.. I have cubase for software, but with everything I have, I can't figure out how to record anything, I can only use my synth as an MIDI "controller".. What else should I get to record my music?? I was looking at this Edirol UA20 USB Audio/MIDI interface [http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--EDIUA20], but Im not sure if it will assist in recording my music live.. Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hello,

Firstly on the desk top or in the start up menu you should see an icon which says "my computer", right click on this and select properties, this will show you how much RAM you have installed.

If you want to play your noises from your synth into your computer you need to make a connection from the audio outs on the Alesis to the audio in's on the computers sound card. Which sound card to you have?, invariably if it came with the computer it wont be much cop.

If you want you could just set Cubase to record an audio track (make sure the in is from the sound card) and play your music in directly. Or you could also play the notes in midi ( you will have top have midi cables both in and out connected to the Alesis and the Alesis must be set as both the in and out on the recording midi track in Cubase) which Cubase will record whilst playing the Alesis back to you. Again if you have a poor sound card you may have problems only this time in the form of latency and not audio degredation.

Let me know if this doesn't help

Keith

I have an Midisport 2x2 which connects to my computer through USB. When I used it to try and record in Cubase, all I could get was piano sounds, nothing that was actually coming from the synth... I don't actually have a soundcard, but the Edirol USB Audio/MIDI Interface. Now all I need to do is get the cables that plug into the Audio Ins, and I should be able to record right??? Hopefully.. You can check out the link in my first post to check the Interface out. I also just purchased a guitar amp.. Anyone else have any suggestions for me?

Ok chap all you have to do is plug the audio outs on the alesis into the ins on the edirol and refer to my previous post.

How many outs does the Alesis have?? If its more than one (ie its a multi-timbral instrument) then you may want to play several at once. Does the Alesis have build in speakers?? If not how are you hearing it at the moment??

Keith

Ok the Alesis has left and right main outs.. It does not have built in speakers, I use my headphones at night and a guitar amp during the day. To hook it up to the guitar amp, I have a cable going from the left main to the high input in the guitar amp. When you say "then you may want to play several at once." what do you mean??

You can split the keyboard on your alesis and play, for example, lh bass and rh piano. If you do this, and have the outputs, you'll want a separate channel for each sound.

Daf

You need to plug the Alesis into the edirol via the main left and right out. If you wish to monitor using you guitar amp take a cable from the OUT on the Alesis to the in on the amp. This isnt the greatest set up as you will be listening to the alesis in mono but recording in stereo.

Monitoring via your headphones is probably the best bet. How do you hear what your computer is playing if you dont have a sound card?? I personally would plug the headphones into the Edirol and then you will be able to hear any effects you apply in Cubase at the recording stage as opposed to just the dry signal of the Alesis.

so I need 2 cables then?? 1 in the L Main and 1 in the R Main to the Edirol?? I tried just the 1 audio cable from L Main on the Alesis to L Audio In (Mono) and I couldn't get anything in Cubase. I tried recording an Audio Track but I wasn't even getting a signal when I hit a key on my synth. I have a sound card that is hooked up to the motherboard but no other one hooked up to my computer. Can I not just record with the Edirol and the Duo through USB??

There's a bunch of setup iunvolved getting your audio input activated - at least in 5.1. I don't know about SX.

1) Your channel has to be selected in VST inputs,

2) Your track has to be record-activated, with the proper channel selected, and

3) Your card has to have the input channel unmuted. The card interface may show you if you're getting signal (don't know about Edirol).

But if it's SX, I don't know how much is applicable...

Daf

Back