Recording high res

I found my answer in this video.

So is a ableton latency problem when is in AUTO monitoring.
That's why I was hearing a tremendous lag no matter the overall latency

Ah, I should have mentioned that. I always forget it until I get latency. Damn thing comes on all the time and it really screws up things. But based on what you are saying about your tracks, I still don't understand why you wouldn't freeze all of the ones that are pretty much set. You can still adjust volume, it just renders the track into an audio file so the software doesn't have to process. Then it becomes just audio with little processing required. If you need t go in a fix something, it is like 1 second to unfreeze.

Many concert pianists cannot live with latencies I find no issue. It’s something that their fingers and ears struggle with. My friend cannot stand it once latency goes past 8 or 9ms, his fingers on a real piano get a tactile response from the keys, and confirmed by his ears. Add a delay and his brain fries. I can cope with much bigger latency values.

A happy ending. Wonderful. Might want to shop around for another DAW.

Or not. They all have there own inherent problems. I hate my DAW.

I don't think it is broke. I think it is there for other purposes, just not for certain situations. Ableton is not just for recording, it is also a performance DAW, hence the name "Live".

For me, I just have to remember, when I hear latency, go check that setting. It is actually counterintuitive. Delay compensation you would think would remove it, but I think it compensates for hardware delay so that the performance is in time. If I have outboard gear and I am performing live, the software has to determine the delay so that the sounds come out together. I don't use it live, so I don't use it or need it. It has been there since I first started using it, so it must be useful to someone, just not me.

I think this is a pretty universal 'problem' with all DAWs? My son has been using a form of Samplitude for years and Pro X3 for the last few. He gets on with it famously for tracking and editing but has moved to Reaper for MIDI work. He also uses the free version of Cakewalk. Not sure for what! I shall ask him today when we Skype.

Dave.

I find Reapers MIDI tools terrible. I really have a hard time with them. It seems (I think it is because I am use to it) Ableton's tools much easier. Ableton does treat MIDI differently from analog recording. Some people don't like that, I am OK with it.

But like you Dave, you use what you need or at least can work with. I use an adjustable wrench very often, even though it is the worse wrench in the tool box. But I know it will always fit :).

Ah, I should have mentioned that. I always forget it until I get latency. Damn thing comes on all the time and it really screws up things. But based on what you are saying about your tracks, I still don't understand why you wouldn't freeze all of the ones that are pretty much set. You can still adjust volume, it just renders the track into an audio file so the software doesn't have to process. Then it becomes just audio with little processing required. If you need t go in a fix something, it is like 1 second to unfreeze.
Yup I will do that and yesterday I could record my guitar putting it on off and hearing the guitar direct in the motu knob . But that lag looks like more is ableton fault than hardware

Yup I will do that and yesterday I could record my guitar putting it on off and hearing the guitar direct in the motu knob . But that lag looks like more is ableton fault than hardware
If the delay compensation is on, you are correct. If it is not, then it is computer.

But, make sure you are using ASIO drivers (I didn't go back to check if you are or are not). That makes a huge difference as well. ASIO drivers, plug in directly into the MB and freeze tracks that are heavy processing. That will at least keep you from having to upgrade your CPU for a bit. I upgraded mine as Ableton was consuming more processing power under 11 than in even 10.

Reaper is a lighter load. But if your load it up with effects, ...

Back