Recording Help!

jdechant

I need help. I am trying to record from my guitar amp via microphone onto a tape in a tape deck. The tape deck has RCA inputs and outputs. I have an apapter to go from 1/4" plug to RCA. Everything works fine, but to hear the sound I have to turn my 120watt amp up half ways, and then there is alot of noise on the tape. What can I use to amplify the signal of the mic? i tried the stereo reciever but it didn't work. Maybe i didn't have it hooked up right.

Please help

Josh

You don't have it hooked up right. You need a mic preamp to get a decent signal out of a mic for taping. Most receivers don't have a mic input anymore. The cheapest way, but not the best, is to get a mic preamp from Radio Shack for maybe $25. If you can't find it write back here and I will search the catalog for what I'm talking about.

Hey Josh:

If your amp had a direct in/out plug, you could record with decent volume. I have a GK amp, tiny but very good, sitting in my studio and when my jazz bass friend drops in to do some stuff, I can run his bass plug into the GK in, and then run the sound out from the out plug; the amp remains silent since I by-pass that circuit; however, a nice amplified sound, which is controllable gets fed into my recording unit. If you amp has no in/out connections, follow Dragon's advice. Keep reading the manuals.

The Green Hornet

Back