Recording Help

SolvoRock

I do not have very much experience or knowledge about recording, but I was hoping to aquire some. My band is trying to record, and I was wondering what the best technique would be. Currently we have Soundcraft gigrac 1000 mixer, two terrible no name brand vocal mics, and one Sure instrument mic. With our old mixer, we would go from the main output directly to a computer, using Audacity to record. The quality on that wasnt very good. Just to let you know, we have two guitars, a bass, two horns, and drums.
We were hoping not to spend too much money on recording, and just get something passable. I would really apreciate any advice you had to offer.
Thanks alot

www.solvo.tk
www.youtube.com/solvorock

EEEP, I advise you to go to the newbie section, I get a strong feeling your gonna get yelled at. anyway, there is 2 way's that I would advise you to go, ither get a new mixer (a nice firewire one that can send multiple channels to the pc, or maby USB2 or similar) or, you can get something like the delta 1010lt or similar, but I would still advise getting a line mixer or something, invest in some new mics (couse thats where by the looks of things your loosing most of the qualaty, (Audacity is a fairly decent program) but yeah, there's a million diffrent roots you could take, but personally I think a firewire mixer is your best/cheepest option for what you want too do, also grab some books, look into mic. placement (and again, look into some better mics, shure (sm57? I think you have) is not a bad mic, but your other mics might want to be replaced.

hope this helps

Nick_Black

save just a little more and go to a real recording studio...this recording game takes money, and if you wanna get into it you're gonna have to get outa of the frame of mind that you dont wanna spend money on it.

We just bought this mixer, not taking into account anything about recording. We are trying to get new mics, but some of our players have a very limited budget. We also have thought of going to a studio, but I was hoping to find a solution that probably didnt have as good of quality, but got the job done. I think we will start with geting new mics, and go from there. Thanks for your help.

you can buy all the mics in the world.....that is the very last thing you need...let me give you a list, seeing that you are recording to a computer.

a audio interface: not a sound card (or two if you are recording drums with bass or guitar)
a recording program
preamps: for your mics
cables: lots of cables

the best thing to do is go to the site of the gear that you want, download an pdf of the manual...it's usually free, read it learn about what cables you're going to need. learn about other equipment that you will need. i promise you'll understand why the mindset of i dont wanna spend alot of money on this is not the best approach to getting your music out there....if you dont wanna spend alotta money, spend the money at a simi pro studio where you'll at least get some decent recording for not alota money. i dont wanna discourage you from recording....but if you're gonna do it do it right.

Im not really looking for a studio quality recording, just something that you can make out whats happening, and its not fuzzing like crazy. Were not really geting into recording, we havnt been together for very long, we just wanted a sub par recording to put on a cd and sell for 1$. Thanks for your help.

oh ok...heres what you do...and im being serious..go to radio shack buy two tape recorders and some cassette tapes, press record and play record your band, then play it back and on the other recorder record yourself along with the first recording you did. it really works and you only spent like $40. :cool:

I guess what you want to do is just do what you've already done, is just send the stereo channal down to the stock computer sound card (typically stock sound cards are bad quality for recording, you might wanna look into upgrading that), keeping that setup, I would advise you to do seprate tracks per insroment

typically

1st: drums (mic it with something like 2 overheads and one out in front, play with the positioning a bit too suit your liking)

2nd, bass, I like too DI this, but you could also mic. it

3rd, guitars, I would sugest close micing the cab, for your kind of music.

4th, the horns, I have no expirience with this, sorry

5th, vox.

try to get the tracks as good as posible at the recording stage, than maby do some minor editing if you relized something dosn't sit right in the mix, once you got the trax down, but you cant seem to get them to sit verry nice, post them up, and well help you from there.

hope this helps

Nick_Black

i didnt want to spend alot of money either....

heh. 18k later i can laugh at that.. heh.

now i just want to spend MORE.

I think that eventually I may want to spend some money and get more serious about recording, but definitly not now.

Back