Recording guitars direct with Tech 21 character pedals

twangbuck

Hey all, anybody use these to record direct? I record with cubase LE on a windows 8 machine with a zoom r8 as an interface. I need to get a good direct electric sound because most of my recording time will be at night when my wife and kid are in bed. I'm a big fan of overdrive bassman and vox sounds, and I really need something that has as little of the 'digital' sound as possible. I have a silver face champ that I took direct in to my setup with a behringer ultra g and a mini mass acting as a load dump. It got pretty close but it was still a tad bit digital sounding.
I'm wondering how the tech 21's sound.
Any thoughts?

I love the bass stuff and use it pretty much exclusively to record at home. Now the guitar series is really good, as well. However, if you are shrewd, you may get a killer deal. I may be behind the times, but if not, the Character Series is having a revamped version coming out with a defeat switch for the speaker sim. So that means a lot of sellers are dumping the 'original' series to make way for the 'MkII' (they aren't calling it the MkII; I am). Some little Mom and Pop store may have some original one kicking about that may go on sale cheap. 'Cause $169 (or whatever they are) is more than Amp Farm(?).

Try to find one of the original back when they weren't specialized - tough call though.
Some of the sounds built into the Zoom R16 are quite good.
The voxengo VST series aren't bad for freebies. Guitar Rig is quite good and cheap.
There are a squillion ways to get what you're after really.

Back