Recording guitar

Gabebates2001

I would like to start recording guitar at home, maybe even move to vocals and bass. I have done research and know I need an interface and maybe a mic and stand if I don't want to amp SIM, with a daw. However, today my grandad gave me a fostex 380s 4 track cassette recorder. What I would like to know is how I could use this, could I plug a mic into that and not need to buy an interface? Could I use it as a mixing desk? I would like my music to end up on my computer not on a tape also, how could I move recordings to my computer? Thanks in advance, Gabriel

You need an interface. Something with A->D conversion..... other than the built in thing on your computer, IMO. Though.. its possible.
You COULD use the Fostex's pre-amps if you like the sound of them. But most interfaces have decent preamps these days so meh.
You will probably be happier selling it :)

You need an interface. Something with A->D conversion..... other than the built in thing on your computer, IMO. Though.. its possible.
You COULD use the Fostex's pre-amps if you like the sound of them. But most interfaces have decent preamps these days so meh.
You will probably be happier selling it :)

Thanks man, anyone know how much its worth?

If its in good shape, the Fostex is worth about $150.
Yes, you could use it to record, but would suffer the sound degradation of cassettes (some people like it) and would eventually have to transfer the audio over to a computer to upload or make CDs.

Could I use it as an interface? Plug the mic into that then line out to my pc?

No, not an "interface". You could use the Fostex as a microphone PRE AMP the line out (RCA?) would then go to the line/mic 3.5mm stereo jack on the PC. Lot of faff and trouble for p***s poor quality and PC internal sound cards are bog useless for track building.

The very cheapest AI I know of that is actually pretty good is the Alesis i02 Express at around $90 but I think they have been discontinued recently and are getting rarer? IMHO the bottom feed F'rites (2i2 etc) are poor vf$ and my next reccy up is the Steinberg UR22.

Dave.

And not only what Dave said ^^^ but your monitoring ability (of tracks you have already laid down) will suck too.

Thanks guys, this is more than helpful thanks so much, I have decided to get a behringer u-phoria umc404, it's better quality than a focusright with more inputs and slightly cheaper. Thanks again guys from the UK!

Tell us how it works out!
The price on those is unreal.

I would like to know as well! There have been quite a few good reports on the Behrry interfaces and nothing bad AFAICT?
However, I doubt they are "better quality" than the Focusrites? I have no problem with F'rite except their prices ref other kit in the same class and the omission of MIDI ports.

The very early 2i2s had very poor headroom on the high Z inputs. This has been improved but its still not THAT good I understand? I have some sympathy with Fs, the newb wants to see BIG waveforms* from even the wimpiest Kays/cat' plywood Strat but then a decent LP bucker will overload the 'too high gain' input.
YCPAOTPAOTT, especially at low cost.

Lurve to know how the Berries are with a hot guitar?

*While we are there(here?) never can say too often "keep it at -18dBFS"!

Dave.

Back