recording guitar

666kennedy

basically i more than likely will be directly injecting distorted electric guitar.

my rig is

alesis multimix 8
cubebase software

i was told, or saw that you couldnt just plug your guitar straight in and make it work.

so i could either mic up my amp, which i cant do til funds improve, and i wouldnt even think about taking the headphone out and putting that into the multimix coz im guessing thats stupid,
there might me a line out from my amp but i cant remember (its a marshall dfx 100 i think)
anyway, so that leaves me with a few guitar effects pedals, will putting the guitar thru them before the multimix work? or do i need something else, and if i do what is it, so i can buy one!

Something like that is really more for keyboard or bass than it is guitar. You are looking for something else, like maybe v amp or guitar rig.

Attachments

• guitar rig.jpg
    guitar rig.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 66
  • v amp.jpg
    v amp.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 63
If you have a good guitar amp, use it. Get yourself a Shure sm57 or audix i5 microphone (both under $100) and record your amp through the mic into the multimix. If you insist on going direct, yes you'll need a DI box before the multimix, but generally speaking direct won't sound as good.

For almost two years, I used a FREE VST plug-in called FreeAmp. It has amp simulations and many stomp-box effects. Using this, you plug your guitar straight to your soundcard input and process the guitar sound in the recording program. Works with Audacity, which is also FREE. Works with any recording program that can use VST plug-ins.

sweet!!

For almost two years, I used a FREE VST plug-in called FreeAmp. It has amp simulations and many stomp-box effects. Using this, you plug your guitar straight to your soundcard input and process the guitar sound in the recording program. Works with Audacity, which is also FREE. Works with any recording program that can use VST plug-ins.

can i get that link to freeAmp?
I use GTR, but i have a few friends i that could use that link.

you plug your guitar straight to your soundcard input and process the guitar sound in the recording program.

I agree, when i was between interfaces i used the little input hole on my computer, and processed with gtr and it sounds the same way then as it does now with my MOTU.
A DI box would come in handy if you were keeping the input sound, but an amp simulation will pretty much replace the original sound.

sound like you got the best advice. "FREE"

-mike-

i wont have a special souncard but will it have the same effect putting the guitar into the mixer and then into the program with the plugin attached? is that the same process?

i wont have a special souncard but will it have the same effect putting the guitar into the mixer and then into the program with the plugin attached? is that the same process?
It's the same process, but it won't give you very good results. You need an interface between the guitar and the computer.

Well, the Alesis really does become an interface. It has an A/D converter and sends digital through USB to the computer. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can think of one issue, though. The guitar puts out, well.. a guitar level signal. The Alesis has inputs for line-level signals. Most guitar output is not up to line level. So, the input trim, on the Alesis, will probably need to be turned up quite a bit to get a decent volume level from the guitar output. Then the "dry" guitar will go to the computer as digital. Then the guitar track can be processed with a plug-in.

Back