Recording guitar at ultra high end studios

"The Edge" prints his rhythmic delays. I do too, when the delay is an integral part of the actual "part."

Unless someone is going for a specific weirdness or a 50s slapback, all delays shoud be in time. Right?

Peace!

~Shawn

I agree with that, though the tighter the delay is to the dry track, the less critical it is for the delay setting to be in time with a subdivision of the beat. I consider the smearing of slide guitar with long delay and multiple repeats to be that "specific weirdness" of which you speak.

Though, to be fair, it's WAY easier to play to a click track, use a software plug in, and set it to match to the host tempo... ;)

Sure. But, we were taking a side road and talking about live use. I tend to use my plugin delays like that when I want a little ambience, but don't want reverb. When using rhythmic delays(ala the edge, "streets with no names") I usually want the delayed sound to sound just like the original dry sound, and that's usually best accomplished when the delay is coming out the amp speaker, and into the mic, just like the dry sound.

Peace!

~Shawn

When using rhythmic delays(ala the edge, "streets with no names") I usually want the delayed sound to sound just like the original dry sound, and that's usually best accomplished when the delay is coming out the amp speaker, and into the mic, just like the dry sound.

Though, to play devil's advocate for a moment longer, if you're using a perfectly transparent delay as a plugin/rack unit to a pre-recorded track, you're delaying the sound that came out of the amp speaker and into the mic - in fact, especially at higher poweramp volumes and greater saturation, to do so will actually give you a clearer delay that's more identical to the dry sound than using a delay in your FX loop, as the delayed signal will not be echoing the poweramp distortion, but will be interacting with your dry signal as it (undelayed) hits your amp's poweramp - i.e - you won't be capturing the dry signal exactly as it is, saturating the poweramp as it would on its own, but rather you're capturing the impact of poweramp saturation from the impact of both the dry and delayed singals hitting at the same time.

I'm just being anal and nitpicky here because it's late, I'm at work, I'm supposed to be studying for something, and my brain is on the fritz, but if your idea is to, in your delayed sound, get exactly the same sound as what would be coming through the amp's speaker and microphone, I still think the best bet is to add delay post-tracking.

...unless you're talking about live sound reinforcement, and adding delay at the amp instead of the board/mains of course, in which case never mind. :D

Though, to play devil's advocate for a moment longer, if you're using a perfectly transparent delay as a plugin/rack unit to a pre-recorded track, you're delaying the sound that came out of the amp speaker and into the mic - in fact, especially at higher poweramp volumes and greater saturation, to do so will actually give you a clearer delay that's more identical to the dry sound than using a delay in your FX loop, as the delayed signal will not be echoing the poweramp distortion, but will be interacting with your dry signal as it (undelayed) hits your amp's poweramp - i.e - you won't be capturing the dry signal exactly as it is, saturating the poweramp as it would on its own, but rather you're capturing the impact of poweramp saturation from the impact of both the dry and delayed singals hitting at the same time.

I'm just being anal and nitpicky here because it's late, I'm at work, I'm supposed to be studying for something, and my brain is on the fritz, but if your idea is to, in your delayed sound, get exactly the same sound as what would be coming through the amp's speaker and microphone, I still think the best bet is to add delay post-tracking.

...unless you're talking about live sound reinforcement, and adding delay at the amp instead of the board/mains of course, in which case never mind. :D

What it boils down to for me is simple. There is a difference in the sound between delay that's added in the mix, and that which is captured on "tape" coming from the speaker. I prefer both, in different circumstances.

Back