Recording/Gaming Computer? MAC or PC?

Thisnameistaken

Hey guys. I'm new here. This is my first post even.

I'm interested in doing some home recording. Everything from vocals to guitars and bass and drums. I'm super new to all of this. I'm recording at a studio right now with my band, but this is for my other stuff I guess.

Anyway, I also do a lot of gaming. So I want to get a computer that can do both very well. My budget is about 1200 dollars max and that's just for the compy. (Before I worry about studio monitors and interfaces and whatever else comes next.) But if I could get away with spending considerably less that would be great! Do you guys have any recommendations? I hear PC is better for gaming, but MAC is better for recording. I honestly have no idea which one I should go with. And once I narrow that down i'd have no idea what to get for specs. Also, I hear PC's are alot more easily upgradable then MACs. Anyway, like I said, i'm pretty out of the loop on all of this stuff. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If gaming is a consideration a PC is your only choice. If your talking desktop you can get a kick ass computer for that kind of cash. The nice thing about a desktop is that it leaves room for modifications if you need a specific firewire card etc..

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to go with PC and have decided to build one myself. I'm just doing research into making sure it is as quiet as possible. Any tips there would be wonderful!

Newegg.com. Or Micro Center. I built my i7 there for under a grand. I love not having to worry about CPU usage. :D

I hear PC is better for gaming

Yes

but MAC is better for recording

Not necessarily. People tend to pick sides and defend them viciously. Both systems are good for recording. I, personally, have had more problems with PC than Mac, but then again I'm not a very computer savvy person. People who know what they're doing have great success using PC for recording. Although I use and prefer Mac, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than PC. Just go with what you've been using before you wanted to get into recording.

I think the biggest difference between PC and Mac is their Operating System.
The hardware are all the same....
You can make music and play games with both PC and Mac as long as their specs are good enough.
People said that PC is better for gaming is becuz games nowadays need high-end video card and enough RAM if you want them to run smoothly, and with the amount of money for an iMac or MacBook Pro, you can buy or build a very strong PC that will outperformed the Mac.
So, the only issue is, whether you like Windows or Mac OX
Mac designed their OS really good, so you wont have many problems like "error messages", or you don't need to defrag your hard drive cuz the system will organize it for you, etc.....but the cons are, since they organize pretty much everything to makes it very user friendly, so you can't really setup some more details stuff like Windows.
Windows let you setup more things, cuz they want you to set the system that's really suits you, by yourself....of course when you messed up, you will find many error messages pop out and gives you pain in the ass.....
The other thing is, Apple is smart, they make their system to let you feel its faster, but its actually not. They boot faster, and start an application faster, but after it gets in, it still need time to open it completely and let you use it......windows start an app's slower, cuz it start and read at the same time, so by the time the apps really open, its ready to use !

Back