recording from Roland to Cakewalk

dougeast

Hey Guys,

I dk if this q belongs in the Roland forum or the Cakewalk forum as I'm new to all this.

I have the Roland VS-880Ex and Cakewalk Version 6 Pro-Audio on a PC. What I want to do is record my songs from the Roland to Cakewalk in midi format. The instruction manual for the Roland tells you how to set the Roland up (not that I have much faith in the manual judging from other sections that don't work as stated) and makes it sound v easy. But when I got the two machines turned on & Cakewalk running...zilch. As fas as i understand Cakewalk is supposed to work as the master so when you press record the Roland starts playing & the song starts recording. But it didn't.

The reason I'm trying to do this is that I was given to understand that when Cakewalk starts recording the songs it will automatically write out the music & I need that in order to register the songs. If anyone knows an alternative or easier way I would also be v grrateful to hear.

Thanks for your help.

Rob.

Cakewalk will print sheet music from Midi

Dougeast,

I believe that you possibly did not understand what cakewalk is capable of doing. You can record a midi song into cakewalk and it will provide the sheet music, but it will not convert audio from the Roland VS-880 to sheet music.

I hope that I understood your questions.

Good Luck!!!!

Hey Landie,

Yeah maybe it won't do it at the same time then but certainly it should record the midi format from the Roland. I had someone round the other day & he said it was a sync problem. For some reason Cakewalk isn't recognising the midi signal from the Roland.

Nevermind, I have got round it for now by sending my demo registered post to my sister who's gonna save it. Should anyone rob the songs we have dated evidence of when we wrote them. This method's been accepted before so I guess it's still ok.

Thanks for your response though.

Dougeast

Careful

This was covered in another thread (I think in the songwriting forum). The registered mail isn't the greatest way to protect your copyrighted material.

That poor mans copywrite isnt solid enough to hold up in court. But if you have a friend who is a lawyer he will set you up with the paperwork and the fee was about 20.00 at the time to do a body of songs. so a copywrite isnt really expensive.(unless you dont have a friend who is a lawyer then you may pay them a fee.)

Back