Recording from Line In

Trenna

I am trying to record on my Tecra 750CDM laptop from a stereo receiver through a line in. I've tried recording in Sound Forge XP and a Yamaha Station. In both cases the L level gets heavily clipped while the right comes in very low. I've checked all the Volume controls and have them below middle range. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried checking all the options, preferences, etc. or should I be looking at the receiver and working with the graphic equalizer (Pioneer). Thanks for any help.

If it really is a good stereo cable, this sounds like the jack isn't getting good contact with the plug on one channel. Those contact springs are really weak and can get bent easily. Happened on my soundblaster; eventually rendering it useless, despite the fact that the rest of the card works fine. By the rest, I mean the other 1/8" stereo jacks for line output and mic in.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 11-16-1999).]

You may be right about that drstawl. But this is what confuses me, I'm using a cable that has two mono 1/4" plugs at one end and one stereo 1/4" at the other. I plug the single stereo plug into a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter and get the results described above. This is same adapter that I use for my headphones and it works fine....
I thought maybe it was the jacks on the computer until Trenna described the exact same problem... coincidence, maybe.
Anyway, I'm going to get some different cable, connectors and adapters and, even if I have to open the laptop up, I WILL figure this out. IT HAS BECOME PERSONAL :->

HEY !!!
I'm having the same problem with MY Toshiba Laptop.
I noticed that if you plug into the Mic input , the right is clipped. If you plug into the Line input the left is clipped.....
Maybe you have to use both ????
I'm gonna get another cable and try it. If you have the necessary cables already, give it shot and let me know if it works.

I have been using a stereo plug and seem to be getting some sound in both, just very low on the right and clipping on the left. I will try loudnabor's suggestion but not sure if I want to clip both sides <G> How low can I go with the system volumes and still get anything? Do you think that the meter is accurate?

My guess is that the low signal being heard is really just bleed through from the other channel, and you have zero input from one side due to non-contacting connectors. You can test this for yourself if you can feed two very distinguishable sounds to left and right channels (like a drum beat on one side and a whistle on the other) and then see what sound you get when you crank the volume on the quiet channel and turn down the monitor volume on the loud channel.

drstawl,
you might be right. I said I got both channels because the meter on the other channel showed some activity, but when opening the file in Sound Forge XP, there is only sound on one channel. Will get another plug and try it. Thanks

Okay, I replaced all the cables and adapters with a single premade cable that has the correct plugs on it....and it works. Imagine that :->
Looks like drstawl was right Trenna, at least in my case.
Now I have a whole bunch of other problems. Wierd phasing and freqs. popping in and out, the sound isn't even close to what it sounds like on the ADAT.
I put a rough mix out at

Maybe I'm using the wrong tools, or maybe I just need practice.....

[This message has been edited by loudnaybor (edited 11-18-1999).]

Back