recording from line in

saxman61

I had some success in the past recording from old vinyl through line in, but it doesn't work anymore. Can anyone tell me how to configure the line in on my Yamah sound card so I can record?

It seems like there was a simple procedure that I used before, but I've forgotten how to do it.

You can't run directly from your turntable to the line in, since the signal needs to be "pre-amp'd" first. Run the turntable into your receive/amplifier first, and then take a line signal (line out/aux out/tape out) from your receiver into your sound card.

That should do it for you. If you need more help, c'mon back.

I am using my stereo reciever from line-out to line-in on my sound card. I did it with exactly this setup previously but seem to remember that I had to configure the line-in input somehow. I've forgotten how to do that.

Additionally, this is an old machine and a spare. It has a really small hard dirve (3g) and I've been deleting things to make more room. Could I have deleted something I need to make this go? It still identifies my sound card and allows me to choose the line-in iput from the setup menu, but no sound comes through from the preamp.

sound recorder

Yes. I think I know your problem. It's a really simple operation but most windows made it very obscure. One shop told me that there was a build up of static on my sound card, and that was why the line in didnt work, which was garbage!!! What you need to do is activate the line in check box in sound recorder.

Right click the soundrecorder icon on your taskbar

click on 'open volume controls'

click options - properties.

you can then check options for volume controls for record and playback. Have a look to see if the line in box is checked. If not, then thats your problem.

Thank You!

That was the info I needed. I was trying to set it up from programs-accessories- entetainment-sound recorder and that never gives you a place to select it.

I did what you said and it's working right now.

I really appreciate your help.

Lance Hoopes

success!!!

Great!!! Glad I could help.

I would recommend everyone to take note of this little routine, as it could save a lot of wasted time next time they install a new soundcard and get the same problem.

drflanger.

Back