Recording from bass guitar to computer....???

BigLex

To record from bass guitar to computer, do you need a preamp? Or can I just plug my bass directly into my computer line-in and play?

The line in wants a line level signal...your bass guitar doesn't put out a line level signal. Yes, a DI box / preamp of some sort is really required. You could look into something like a Bass POD or Sansamp Bass Driver DI box...or even an ART Tube MP would work.

Slackmaster 2000

If your bass has active electronics you should be able to plug right into the line in on the sound card. Active electronics will pretty much give you a line level signal, which your line in on your soundcard will accept. Of course plugging straght into your soundcard won't sound good, but you can jot ideas down that way until you get a preamp.

Slackmaster2K said:
The line in wants a line level signal...your bass guitar doesn't put out a line level signal. Yes, a DI box / preamp of some sort is really required. You could look into something like a Bass POD or Sansamp Bass Driver DI box...or even an ART Tube MP would work.

Slackmaster 2000

Or better still, a Bass Driver INTO a Tube MP. I did that really just to get the phantom power from the Tube MP and found I really like the result. :cool:

Yep. Until I got the Bass Driver two weeks ago my recordings sounded like a typical hack player's.

I STILL sound like a typical hack player, but at least I now have atypically nice bass tone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks to all who've responded.... does a bass amp combo w/ speaker function as a preamp as well? I think I recall seeing an output jack on some amps that I've looked at. If so, what features/controls (EQ, etc) should I look for in an amp to be able to optimize recording potential?

Back