Recording flute and keyboard on Imac

Mike Knight

Hi,
I am virtually clueless when it comes to digital recording, but here is what I would like to do, and what I have. Can anyone give me guidance in very basic terms (technical terms will more than likely make no sense to me).

I play a wooden flute and have a wireless mic that I run through an Alesis Nanoverb effects box and then into a Peavey KB/A 60 keyboard amp. I also have an I-mac computer with no recording software. I would like to be able to make demo cd recordings with my flute and have the capacity to also add music (drum beats, other instruments) via a midi keyboard. I believe I need a midi box to connect my system to my computer and software for the imac, but I don't understand the basics of the actual connection.

i.e. Leaving the keyboard out of the picture, If I just want to record my flute, can I do so while also listening to the sound come out of the amp? Or do I have to skip the amp and go right out of the nanoverb box to the midi box? Or do I mic straight into the midi box and use the effects of the software rather than the nanoverb? The only effect I use is typically an echo effect to make the flute sound like it is being played in a canyon. My cables are currently 1/2" jacks. Thanks for any comments.
Mike

Let's see... first, a "MIDI" box is probably not what you need. A MIDI box take note on/off messages and the like from keyboards only.(at least not flute). You need a way to plug a microphone into your computer. The best way for you to do this is with a digital audio interface. These vary widely in quality, connections and price. An example would be the Digidesign/focusrite Mbox USB Interface. Digital audio interfaces often come with recording software. I don't record on a Mac, I just looked in a Musician's Friend catalog for an example of what you need. I have never used the Mbox, it looks like it could solve your problem... but there are other choices. Using it as an example, you would plug your microphone or keyboard directly into the Mbox which would record it to your harddrive. I'm sure the included software would have different reverbs and echos to try, and the there are a few different ways you can still use your Alesis reverb. The Mbox has a headphone output which will let you hear your other tracks ect.
You can record your keyboard by plugging the output directly into the Mbox (or similar device). You don't have to use MIDI. MIDI allows you to edit what you play better that recorded audio. MIDI records what key you pressed, how long you held it, what sound bank you used and more... but NOT the SOUND the keyboard made.
You'll probably also want another Microphone... There are MANY wired microphone much more suited for recording flute. Wireless is good for live performance, but you want the cleanest signal you can get, which means a wire.
Using your Imac is a great solution if you are reasonably good with computers. It also allows you to upgrade and exspand easily. But for ease of use and price, there are many stand-alone recording systems that would serve your purpose and offer other advantages. Generally, the best reverb is the real thing. With a portable studio you could do your keyboard parts at home. Then find a church or other good sounding space to record your flute parts.
There are a million ways to do it. Eventually you could easily wind up wanting all of the above and a zillion other things you never knew existed.

Back