recording eq

davexxxxx

I am recording audio only, no midi. can I get eq and other effects while recording , not just playback???
I am trying to record live drums and need more eq as i am recording with a channel strip with no eq. (no board) . I want to utilize more eq in sonar 3.0. can this be done???
any one know any tricks for a bass drum sound and snare sound??

Input monitoring will let you apply effects and hear them while recording.

Not sure how this would work on drums though, unless you're wearing headphones?

It can be done, as Bulls Hit said, with Input Monitoring. But there's a few things you need to know:
- You need looooow latency (down to 2.9 ms)
- The effect will not be printed directly to the file, it will still run as a realtime effect.

And why exactly do you need to print the EQ while recording? I can see it being an advantage, but necessary?

we are not getting the sound on the snare we want. with the eq on the snare mike , we are getting a better sound. how do I activate input monitoring and how do i check the latency????

the (>>) button on the channel engages the audio output. typically if you have < 15ms latency you'll be fine for recording and you'll be able to hear any of the effects you have engaged. word of warning: using effects when you're "tracking" can introduce noise as the CPU usages goes up. My experience is: use the least number of effects and eq as possible when tracking. even archive other tracks you don't need while overdubbing to save on I/O. Once you've got the tracking complete, then start to tweak eq etc... if you find your snare is not right, you can try something like converting the snare to midi and using a sampled snare (people recommend Drummagog but I just use a freeware transient to midi plugin - check KVR).

Back