recording electric guitar

youll probably get a better sound going straight from the rp200.....

it is widely known that a mic'ed amp in most cases will get ya the best sound.....a sm57 smack in front of the amp.....

but i dont know how much of an improvement running the Digitech into the Peavey will be, if any....it may even degrade the sound.....

No, the sound will not be degraded if you put your amp setting on clean and run the Digitech into the guitar jack, mic'ing the results. In fact, each of the presets will sound different than if you went directly into the board, thereby doubling your options!

I would suggest you listen to each preset, both with a mic and direct, against a sample of the drums and bass of the song you are recording. Then you can decide whether to keep the direct or the mic'd guitar sound, or mix them together to capture the best sonic qualities of both.

Cy

"No, the sound will not be degraded "

Never played thru a Peavey Rage, have you......

Ive played thru some Digitech stuff, not sure if it was this particular one....the rp200 is a amp modeling/cabinet modeling/and mic placement modeling device.....it was designed to go direct.....running it into a puny Peavey Rage ampwill not likely sound all that great.....

i have a J-Station and from time to time run it thru a pretty decent tube amp with 2 2X12's and mic it....that makes an improvement....Peavey Rage?...wont hurt to try but dont count on it......

alright, well maybe I overstepped slightly..

I have a Crate, and I was under the impression that the RP200 was only a slight step up from the RP100.

The RP100 gives specific instructions on how to set it up with an amp on clean setting as an additional option to going direct. When doing it this way, you get a different set of amp modeling sounds, with no degration of sound.

Cy

Back