Recording electric guitar???

marc32123

I am wondering how the pro's record electric guitar. From what I now as of now, there are mainly two ways to do it, but I may be wrong. The first one is the technique of plugging the electric guitar straight into the audio interface, and than recording clean without any effects etc, and then adding the effects in afterwords. I really don't like this method, although some people do. The second technique that I know of is to use a real guitar amplifier to get the sound. Basically, they say you can do that by plugging directly into the amp with your guitar, and than plugging the amp into the audio interface. There is also the technique of mic'ing the guitar amp...

I am wondering, what technique do the pro's use? For example, how do you think the guitar was recorded in this song by Breaking Benjamin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFfRSeA1ls

I would say, most pros mic an amplifier and get the sound live. Some my mic and DI as a precaution, but the pros will have the equipment.

I think most people agree, the preferred method is micing, but not everyone has that possibility.

A good guitar tone in the room, captured by a good microphone, will yield a good guitar tone. This is the proper way, tried and true. Recording through DI to sims is usually done (I say usually) because you don't/can't/won't put the time/practice/energy into doing it the proper way. If you're looking for a nice clean tone, or high volume low gain crunch, or even snarly, nasty grind, this should be the first choice. Some smaller amps will give you good tones (Orange, Vox, etc.) and the definition of good tone to you may be different than mine...Certain amplifiers (Marshall, Fender, Blackstar, etc) have unique tones that people love/hate.

Having said that, there is a thing called re-amping, where you record the guitar signal DI, and then run the signal through the amplifier and fiddle until you get the tone/mike placement you're after. (why I said usually, above).

If you do not have the facilities (or neighbors or funds) to run a 15, 30, 50 or 100 watt tube amp at high volume (push some air man) through a nice cab and find the sweet spot(s) on the speaker(s) that portray the tone you are after, you may be reduced (as I am) to using amp sims. The sound is not ideal, but can be close enough to get the idea across.

One of the methods that you cited (running through an amp and using the amp output) used to be semi-common practice for bass, but not so much for guitar. Even in the 80s when I was in studio, guitar cabs were miked. DI and amp out, not so much.

BTW, Benjamin Burnley has been known to use Randall T2 amplifiers. How they're modded and what speakers are in his Randall cabs are anyone's guess. But I'd bet the sound in that video was a miked amp cab. Listen to the breakup at the end. That cannot be simmed.

I am a little worried about using a mic, because using a mic in front of the amp speaker head doesn't really pick up the direct sound off the strings, and I use a semi-hollow body so I want to get that extra acoustic sound off the strings if I can get it.

There has got to be a better way than just sticking a mic in front of the speaker head isn't there?

Mike the guitar as well, then and blend the sounds to suit your need. Miking is still the best solution. How else will you get the string sound recorded? DI is not going to pick up your strings.

I am a little worried about using a mic, because using a mic in front of the amp speaker head doesn't really pick up the direct sound off the strings, and I use a semi-hollow body so I want to get that extra acoustic sound off the strings if I can get it.

There has got to be a better way than just sticking a mic in front of the speaker head isn't there?

Nope, that is the way. You can mic the guitar as well if you want that sound.

There is no hollow body in the vid. Plus, I was always under the impression that a hollow body was more about how the pickups behaved (sounded) verses a solid body. I have never once thought of recording the acoustic part. My hollow body sounds like poo from just the acoustic part of it.

Nugent play a hollow body, I don't remember him micing the strings. But he did get lots of feedback.

IF you have 1)a decent guitar with 2)good pickups running through 3)a good amp with 4)good speakers, you have decent 5)talent and 6)technique to play what you want to play, and you are willing to take the 7)time to work out a good placement for the mike in front of the grill, THEN a simple $100 SM-57 will capture the tone you want. If something in that chain is missing, all bets are off. Sorry.

BTW, Benjamin Burnley has been known to use Randall T2 amplifiers. How they're modded and what speakers are in his Randall cabs are anyone's guess. But I'd bet the sound in that video was a miked amp cab. Listen to the breakup at the end. That cannot be simmed.

What is an "amp cab"? I thought a guitar amplifier was a guitar amplifier?

What is an "amp cab"? I thought a guitar amplifier was a guitar amplifier?

Oh dear.

The cab is the box the speakers sit in. The "amp" is the electronic portion that amplifies the signal. Sometimes the two units are separate - head and cab. Sometimes they're combined in one unit - a combo.

Mike the guitar as well, then and blend the sounds to suit your need. Miking is still the best solution. How else will you get the string sound recorded? DI is not going to pick up your strings.

I think this is what I have been searching for, just have been curious as to if people actually use this technique. I truly believe this is by far the best way to record, nothing could compare, especially if you are using a semi-hollow or hollow, solid wouldn't matter quite as much.

Anyways, can you tell me how I should proceed with getting the best sound? I have two mic's, both are of good quality. One is a condenser and the other one is a dynamic. Which one should I place in front of the guitar amp? And how far away should it be and at what position (like center, above etc.)

Also, where should I place the mic next to the guitar?

Head - this is the amp, no speakers in here:
1959SLP-large.jpg

Cab - this is not the amp, just a box full of speakers:
Left-Side-Marshall-Cab-1972.jpg

Combo - both amp and speakers in one box:
2272000000v1_hi-bedf292bc6e749a8de926d831968616f.jpg

I think this is what I have been searching for, just have been curious as to if people actually use this technique. I truly believe this is by far the best way to record, nothing could compare, especially if you are using a semi-hollow or hollow, solid wouldn't matter quite as much.

Anyways, can you tell me how I should proceed with getting the best sound? I have two mic's, both are of good quality. One is a condenser and the other one is a dynamic. Which one should I place in front of the guitar amp? And how far away should it be and at what position (like center, above etc.)

Also, where should I place the mic next to the guitar?

The vast majority of electric guitars you hear on records are likely to have been recorded by putting a mic in front of a speaker.
If you want to experiment with putting a mic on the actual guitar too that's cool, but I'd bet it's not that common an approach.

As far as mic position, there's no answer. There's a million combinations that will get you a million sounds. Then add the settings on the amp and guitar, the pickups, amp type, mic choice etc etc.
That's really where you have to try/change/try/change/try/change.

Pointing a 57 a few inches away somewhere between the cone and the edge is a decent starting point.

A semi-hollow is not a semi-hollow for it's acoustic properties. It's how the hollow guitar interacts with the pickups is what makes the guitar special for it's sound. I don't think your idea is a good one, but knock yourself out.

I've neer heard of anyone miking a semi-hollow body guitar. There's hardly any 'acoustic' sound to them. I think the OP is mistaken in what he thinks he hears.

To answer what mike where...here's my guess work.
Put the dynamic in front of the speaker (couple inches from the cab pointed at the speaker between the edge and the cone). As was said, that's the best place to start.
Record, listen. Move the mike back a couple of inches. Record, listen. If that sounds better, great: If not, move it back. Now move it left an inch. Repeat. Now angle the face of the microphone 5-10 degrees off axis, repeat. You get the picture. Find the sweet spot where the recording sounds as much like the sound you want as possible.
Use the condenser pointed at the guitar at about 8-12". Where to point at a semi-hollow body is going to be a complete guess because I've never heard of it being done (as has been said). My guess would be either the neck joint (where the neck meets the guitar) or possibly just a bit higher (to capture the sound from the strings and the f-hole).
Like Mike said, I've never heard of anyone miking a semi-hollow body, but you may be on to something. If nothing else, if it doesn't sound pleasing in the end, it will be a separate channel and you can just mute it
Good luck, have fun...:D Happy Recording :D

Use the condenser pointed at the guitar at about 8-12". Where to point at a semi-hollow body is going to be a complete guess because I've never heard of it being done (as has been said). My guess would be either the neck joint (where the neck meets the guitar) or possibly just a bit higher (to capture the sound from the strings and the f-hole).
Like Mike said, I've never heard of anyone miking a semi-hollow body, but you may be on to something. If nothing else, if it doesn't sound pleasing in the end, it will be a separate channel and you can just mute it
Good luck, have fun...:D Happy Recording :D

If you are using an amp, and you try and mic a hollow body, I don't think it will be loud enough to pick up. Plus, hollow bodies sound like s**t acoustically. I don't think he is on to something.

Back