Recording Drums?

toprocker22

Hey so ive been recording solo music of mine using cubase for almost a year but im not a drummer so i used a drum program to write all my drum tracks. Well my band has been together for a year now were a cover band and we wanna get some kinda demo out to give to bars. Im good on everything but recording a live kit. i have about 6 mics 2 sm57s, 1 shure condenser mic, and 3 50$ (PVI50 i believe but dont quote me) peavey dynamic mics. Is there a way to have all 6 mics running into my mixer and have each mic have its own audio track in cubase is really the one question i have. If so can someone help me by explaining how to do so. Also ive been doing alot of research online on recording live drumsets but if anyone has a good referal site or personal tips please share i need as much info on this to releave this soon to be headache!!! :drunk:

No thanks. I had to basically learn this stuff just by doing it. I learned a lot in here too, for sure, but mostly by my own trial-and-error, and what I do works for me. It might not work for someone else.

No thanks. I had to basically learn this stuff just by doing it. I learned a lot in here too, for sure, but mostly by my own trial-and-error, and what I do works for me. It might not work for someone else.

Point Taken. Trial and Error is pretty much how I developed most of my "specific" techniques. Alot of reading and school has helped, but I do always learn more by just doing than reading.

Don't be fooled.

Greg's bedroom:

Attachments

• tumblr_kxrz4oD27i1qalcsko1_500.jpg
    tumblr_kxrz4oD27i1qalcsko1_500.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 138
All opinions will be cheerfully considered

Your insatiable man-crush on the fab-4 is adorable. :laughings:
Isn't it just ! As they once wrote
"You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer !".
Mind you, I think the term 'crush' might be a little weighty though. :D Last crush I had was back in '77 on Mrs Crosby, my French teacher. Once, when I referred to some of my classmates as 'kids', she said to me "I don't see any goats here !".

But let's be real. Ringo sucked, and had little, if anything, to do with any part of the Beatles success.
I guess that depends on one's perspective. Personally, I've long felt he was just the right drummer for them. Having thought about it for many years, my opinion is that drummers like Ginger Baker, Viv Prince, Bobby Graham and Keith Moon could never have drummed for the Beatles, never mind the American drummers of the time. Charlie Watts, hmm, possibly.
The point about him having little to do with their success is, in my opinion, paradoxical. I am presuming that you're referring to his actual drumming and I'm of the opinion that up to "Ticket to ride" in '65, his drumming wasn't the most noticeable part of the Beatles songs in anything other than the same general way that the actual drumming as opposed to 'the drums' is often not the most noticeable part probably of most songs. You know what I mean, often it's noted that there are drums and the drums often drive a song and accentuate parts and add excitement, but I don't know many people that actually listen to what the drummer is actually doing.
But the Beatles were such a package that even before they hit the States, the media was focussing on their personalities, opinions, clothes etc that the music so often is lost in a welter of other things. It was long long long before Paul McCartney's bass playing was recognized, George Harrison was seen as a revolutionary guitarist more for playing a 12 string Rickenbacker than the actual stuff he played, etc, etc. Them days were the start of so much of what we take for granted now so it's hard to gauge what made groups and singers 'successful'. I'd say lots of different things went into the pot, working at different strengths at different times. All one can say is that the other Beatles regarded him as the one they needed (even when he left the band they didn't try to replace him) and many guys that saw him drumming on his distinctive Ludwig set were inspired to take up the drums. I've read too many opinions from drummers of the 60s~90s saying Ringo turned their heads drumming wise to say "No he didn't ! He couldn't have. He sucked....".

Toprocker22, my apologies for hi~jacking your thread with that insatiably long post.

Lol. Holy crap dude. Do you get checks from the Beatles per word, or something?

Nope, I think he just has something relevant to say, plus the in-depth knowledge and critical appreciation to put it over in a convincing and useful manner.

Just saying. :)

Nope, I think he just has something relevant to say, plus the in-depth knowledge and critical appreciation to put it over in a convincing and useful manner.

Just saying. :)

I don't know how convincing or useful it was because I don't read long posts. I know he's an unapologetic Beatles fanboi and it was super long though, so it had to be good. :D

Ringo still sucks.

Back