recording drums

Brad_g

how can you record all the drums through the mbox mini? or can you even? if not whats the next option?

If I`m not mistaken the Mbox mini only have one xlr input. and then one D.I./line in input.

So recording drums with just one mic wich this box offers, will do as a sketch I supose, but I`d go with at least 2 channels to record the drums.

You could sub mix it on an external mixer and the send it sub mixed to 2 channels on your mbox.

If you want more channels, wich the majority usually want when they record drums, buy something with more inputs.

I`m thinking your using Pro tools, hence the mbox,

perhaps mbox 2 pro would do the trick.

I`d go for something like a 8 or more channel interface:)

but i have to use digidesign interfaces only right? so the cheapest one with 8 inputs is the 002 or 003! or are there some other ones that will work?

thanks!

as long as you want to use, pro tools, yes.

Allthough I think M-audio makes some stuff that can be used with pro tools as well, thats cheaper, I think.
But crappier, my experience with M-audio is a lot of noise in the units:)

If you're using Pro Tools to record none of the MBOX 2 family units would work as they have a max of two mic inputs and you would want to go using more than two mics. A 002 or 003 would do the trick, it has 4 mic inputs still I'd probably go for more than 4 mics for a drum set. It also depends a lot on what genre you're recording and if you want a lively sound or a more direct (For lack of a better word) and panned sound. An expansion for the 002 or 003 would be an ADAT which would give you up to an extra 8 mic inputs, it's really good for the long run but all of that is really expensive.

If it was me I'd go and buy another interface (Cheaper non digidesign, would be just as good) with more mic inputs and record the drums, on another DAW other than Pro Tools, using more mics and then take the wave files recorded in the other DAW and import them to pro tools to mix and work on them there. Its probably a lot cheaper than going ahead and buying a 002 or 003 and an ADAT for more than 4 mic inputs. It's also not a big deal since you would only use the other DAW to record and thats pretty much the same in every program.

No need to write off the interface you have just yet though. I've recorded a drumset with one SM57, and as long as you mess around with mic placement and you're in a decent room, you can make a one-mic setup work. Doing recordings with a limited amount of gear is a good learning experience, in my opinion.

If you want an interface with more inputs, I would also reccomend the Tascam US1641... there's a new model of it that's coming out soon, so I'd be willing to bet that the old model will be/already is marked down in price. But keep in mind it won't be able to work with ProTools, so you'll have to learn Cubase.

i might be wrong but from what iv read is that M-audio will only work with Pro tools m-powered! i have LE! or can they work with LE to?

Hi Brad,

PT LE will Run only on LE interfaces..

Experiment with your mic placement. You may be surprised what your room sounds like.

Good Luck,

Mario

Back