recording drums with 4 mics and a mackie 1202vlz..

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
i just though of another question... im going to be purchasing a mackie 1202vlz as my mixer , and ill be micing my drums with 4 mics.. am i going to be able to record each mic to a separate track or will the mackie force me into submixing the drums?? i would much rather have everything on seperate tracks... basically what im asking is does anyone know if the mackie has at least 4 line outputs to hook up into my soundcards 4 line inputs?? i checked their website but couldnt find anything...

thanks to all who reply ,

peace , love , and brads mom....

- eddie -

Technically it only has a stereo bus (that means 2), but it also has a mute/alt 3-4 bus (another 2)....so where I come from , 2 + 2 sho nuff be 4 buses.....

So heres the question...
If Eddie has a 1202VLZ Pro, 4 mics, and a soundcard with 4 inputs, can he put his drums on 4 separate tracks?.....

Answer.....yes!!!!

Peace, love, and genital warts,

GIDGE

thanks for all your help mr guidry... i tried emailing you a personal reply to say thanks , but it seems brads mom has your ass on lock down and blocked your email address... she can be such a bitch sometimes...:D hopefully i can figue out how to use all 4 outputs.

oh shit...i have ANOTHER question... if i can use four outputs on the mackie , are they quarter inch balanced outs?? i need to purchase all the cabling for this stuff too , and i dnt want to get the wrong thing...

oh fuck me.. i just thought of ANOTHER question... how do i go about monitoring from the outputs of the soundcard?? do i run them through the mixer and then out to headphones to the artists so they can hear whats being played back? or straight out of the soundcard?

thanks again ,

- eddie -

i may be on lockdown but al least im gettin some.....

yeah, you can do 4 balanced 1/4" ( those would be TRS)......

and yes for monitoring you can take the soundcards outputs into a stereo channel of the board or you can monitor from the soundcard....i think id rather from the soundcard.....

Love and kisses

Mr.Guidry

the inserts can be used as direct outs (RTFM). This way you are bypassing everything except eq. I wouldn't recommend using the main out /aux.

but are the channel inserts balanced outs?? i dont think they are...is this really something to be concerned about or am i jut nitpicking... its not like im using the greatest gear to begin with , so it shouldnt be a big deal...

- eddie -

balanced lines are only an issue if you have long cable runs (lets say more than 5m between mixer and converters). NOrmally the mixer circuit induces much more noise than the unbalanced cables can. TRy it out, you will be surprised how quiet the conexion is (because the mackie preamps are VERY quiet).
I would also connect my monitors to the "conrollroom out" of the mackie. this way you can feed whatever signal you like into them (soundcard, cd-player, the friends md, etc) without necesarily powering on the computer. You can also send the outs of your soundcard to diferent lineins of the mackie and thus create an independent monitor mix (independent from the levels tha go into the soundcard)
greez
Harald

h kuhn said:
the inserts can be used as direct outs (RTFM). This way you are bypassing everything except eq. I wouldn't recommend using the main out /aux.

I prefer this setup myself with the 1402.

Also, if you push the jacks in only one click in the insert (not all the way), you can use the mic pre's for direct recording, yet still send the channels through the main bus for monitoring.

Me

Back