Recording drums using 4 channels on a PC recording enviroment....

memo

I play various instruments including the drums and the guitar, to this date I've always made small sound files using my trusty SoundBlaster PCI-64 card and some cheap mics. The quality was fine, enough to somewhat represent the sound of the instrument but it was no where near good.
Since I wanted to take my recordings to a higher level so I bought the "Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96" package since I didn't want to spend money on a soundcard and a mixer. Besides I didn't need anything like ADAT cable links or any other of those gizmos. And the Aardvark was the most logical package I could get.

Now that I have some more cash (around $800) I want to get some mics for my drums. I have a 4-piece partially birch kit. Since the Aardvark has 4mic amplifiers I'll most likely get 3 or 4 mics (kick, snare, 2 or 1 overheads). I know that SM57 is a great mic for snare drums, so I'll probably use that on my snare. On the kick I'm thinking about another SM57 or perhaps an AKG D112 or Beta52, my overhead choice will decide that. I'm not looking for any huge Bonham sound, I just want a tight dry sound from my drums. The room they are in is already quite dead, carpeted and curtains on the walls. And I'm a bit lost about what type/model of overhead to use. I've heard good things about AKG C1000 being a good budget overhead, and also the Shure SM81 which although isn't as cheap. But any info you could provide me on overheads as well as kick and snare mics to achieve the sound I'm looking for would please me greatly. Because recording isn't really my neck of woods and I'm only starting to scratch the surface.
Also if this will be any help my setup is:
PII 400 with 128mb ram, 15gb hdd and I use CoolEdit Pro to make my files (I also have a bunch of effect patches which came with the Aardvark).

Regards... memo

Back