recording drums, triggers or no.

tomb

i am goign to buy the stuff for my drummer to record, we are wantign to do everything ourself. he has a good sounding drum kit, but i was messing with drum kit from hell, and studio drums. now i know nothing about drum triggers and modules, but here goes the question. is there a way to make the drum triggers activate drum kit from hell or battery studio drums. and can triggers work on cymbols. all our other equipment can be recorded direct. those smaples sound very good, so im hoping it will work this way. if this will not work, whats a good mic kit to get. as i said i would much rather do it the trigger way if it will work. ive recorded that way using a midi keyboard, but its just not the same as a real drummer. thanks in advance.

TRIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can trigger from those but you need to use a drum module that is capable. Also you should just trigger the drums, and set up a couple of good overhead mics to catch the cymbals. If you are unfamiliar with the recording techniques of drums, and are unsure if you can get the best quality that way you can definately benefit from triggering. But try and use natural sounds, from what i her DKFH is really good. What kind of music are you recording? I think that triggers will achieve what you want.

hmm imagine staind meets new found glory. i guess it woul be hard rock, but with a little bit of poppy happy sound. thats why i wanted to do triggers, cause i dont know the proper way to record them acoustic. heres is the module im thinking of getting. Alesis DM5 Drum Module Brain . it has midi , but not sure if its assingable midi. im looking on ebay, and i can get the module for 220.00, and then i did a search for triggers, and can get 5 for 45.00. is that good? or are those cheap pices of crap? thanks guys.

If you can get triggers that cheap they are more than likes ly the redshot ones that you have to stick on yourself. They work good so long as you have a good solid way to adhere them to the drum. If they are the other type that you mount on the drum, and use the tuning lugs to reef down on they are better quality, and trigger a bit better. But either will work fine. The alesis modules are good units for the money. I think that you will get the sounds you are after with the setup you are speaking of. Especially if you are kinda new to drum micing. Another thing that helps is to get a muffling device for the toms cause they vibrate the most, and could double trigger. Let us know how your stuff turns out withy the triggers.

i sure will. how hard is it to set triggers to activate battery, or lm4 or any software drum program? well i guess i mean the drum module. it has midi in and out, but the only midi use ive had is using a midi keyboard to activate the grand, and d'cota. i guess the instruction manual might tell how to assing midi. ill see if i cant download it.

Hey tomb...
Im trying to do exactly what you are doing.
Im Using PTLE on PC with...
Alesis DM5, Battery, and DFH.
The biggest problem for me has been getting my PT to playback the DFH samples.
I can record midi...even using the shitty samples in the DM5. But I play those back and they sound like shit.
The problem is this...either Battery or PT has to develope a way so that these programs can work together...Now keep in mind that Native instruments HAS developed versions of Battery and a few other of their samplers so that they can be used with PT but ONLY on a MAC. The plain and simple fact is that neither of these companies seem very motivated to develope something that works. There should be a disclaimer at the Native instruments web site that says WARNING OUR SAMPLERS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU RUN PT ON A PC!!!!

But hey thats my 2 cents...Ive been trying to figure out a way to do this too but nobody around here knows how to do it. Ive created many threads about it recently and they all sink to the bottom of the page and eventually disappear...GOOD LUCK...youre gonna need it...

Marty, i hate to sound liek an idiot, but what is pt? im using nuendo, and i run battery as a vst instrumanet, and it works fine. now this is using a midi keyboard to control it, im not sure yet about the drum module. dkfh will work with battery i beleive, send me an e-mail, if i figure it out i will get back with ya. ive never owned a drum module, but it has to be able to assing midi ports to triggers.

Yeah...Battery will play back my DFH samples too by itself. But poor me with PT "Pro Tools" there is no way to route the audio/midi signal back into PT. So Im screwed. Im pretty sure that I cant do the VST thing in PT...So Im screwed...And I wasnt kidding around here when I said that no one knows how to fix my problem...

oh on another note, whats good mics, and how many to get for cymbols? my drummer has 5 cymbols lus the high hat. marty, why not just get another program to run. ive never liked pro tools. you should really try nuendo, or logic audio pro. those are very nice programs. i dont have logic but my buddy does. nuendo is great though.

Marty just running your problem through in my head i came up with this solution, i hope it helps out!

Grab a program such as MidiOsxe, its basically a program that acts as a midi cable. There are many programs freeware on the net which perform this action. As such you run the midi out from your Tools channel straight into the Battery Midi in (i think it has one doesnt it?).

Does that give you any help?

Poddy
thanks for trying...I have heard of those programs. I tried midiyoke. It shows up as an out put for Pro Tools but it does not show up as an input so I can route it back into Pro Tools. Unless Im missing something it just doesnt work...but thanks anyway....

tomb said:
is there a way to make the drum triggers activate drum kit from hell or battery studio drums

I have post triggered DfH samples from Digital Audio drum tracks before, but it is a pain in the a** to say the least. First you have to make sure every drum is on it's own channel (so no lumping two rack toms on the same channel!). Then you have to compress the hell out of the drums and adjust the peak levels so they'll trigger. Then you have to fire up battery and assign the pads to the corresponding channels... And forget about triggering cymbals. Too many inconsistant transient tones to get a good post trigger source..

The better way is to get the cheapest module you can find with the most outputs you can get (DTX, TD6, DM4/5) and some triggers (ie red shots). Then MIDI channel them into battery using DFH. Obviously, I'm trivializing quite a bit because MIDI is a nasty monster all together, but if you set it up correctly, you should see some good results. You may need to either record live cymbals or buy e-cymbal pads tho...

Back