Recording Drums Live

davidthangjam10

I'm planning to record live drums but i have an audio interface which has only 1 xlr inputs. its it possible to buy a mixer maybe 12 inputs one and connect it to my interface?

You could do that, or get an interface with more inputs.

Although why do you need 12 inputs for drums? I get a great sound with just 4.

You could do that, or get an interface with more inputs.

Kinda depends on the style. My boss gets his drum sound from a kick in, kick out, snare top, snare bottom, stereo overheads, either a stereo or mono room mic, a hi-hat mic, and however many toms the drummer has. So he uses about 10-12 mics fairly often. It just kinda depends on what sound you're looking for, I guess.

I mean, he had a jazz group come in and all he really used was about 4 mics. I think it was just kick snare overheads.

Anyhoo, as to the OP question of can you get a mixer and send it to the interface, technically yes, but the drums are going to be entirely mono if you're bringing it in on a single XLR channel. I'd suggest just upgrading your interface to a 4 or 8 channel interface (with built in pre-amps, from the sound of what you're looking for) and call it good. Not really much point in spending a bunch of cash on a 12-channel mixer when you could just buy a better interface and get, if not a nicer result, at least a stereo result. =]

yeah i was thinking of getting more inputs audio interface but at least i want a 12 xlr inputs (but they cost a lot :P). i wanted to record a tight metal drums so by miking more i was thinking that i may get a good punchy tone :) thanks for the reply

Yeah but there's also how much live time ('test tracking or not) pre-mixing before nailing the drum mixes- and then you still can't tweak the kit balances, etc, once the other instruments are in.

Yeah but there's also how much live time ('test tracking or not) pre-mixing before nailing the drum mixes- and then you still can't tweak the kit balances, etc, once the other instruments are in.

^this is so true. Trying to mix drums before the rest of the band and is in, is close to impossible.

You are best off having all of the drum tracks separate, and make those decisions later. Get a Tascam US 1800 or 1641. Best interface you could get for this situation. Way better than wasting money on a mixer. Hopefully your cost for unit in India is not out of your budget. I just sold mine for $100 in US.

Someone could get a great sound with just one. So? The more the merrier. You don't have to use all of the tracks. The common internet insistence that 4 is all you need is getting tiresome.

Someone could get a great sound with just one. So? The more the merrier. You don't have to use all of the tracks. The common internet insistence that 4 is all you need is getting tiresome.

Well that's true. I'd totally mic up all my toms if I had good mics to mic them up with. But rather than using more cheap mics, I prefer less expensive mics. Now whenever I can afford 3 MD421's, then my tune will change.

Well said, I have been thinking the same, I used to use 4 mics when that was all I had, well 2 actually LOL. Now it's, "Lets put a mic under and over the cowbell". :D

Alan.

Well that's true. I'd totally mic up all my toms if I had good mics to mic them up with. But rather than using more cheap mics, I prefer less expensive mics. Now whenever I can afford 3 MD421's, then my tune will change.

If your toms sound good you can mic them with just about anything that isn't some cheapo radio shack mic.

Back