recording drums in a corner?

systmovadown

what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I have a fairly small live room
its a 10'x11' room with 6 1/2' ceiling

I did have room treatment, but I decided to take it down because the drums in the center of the room weren't doing it for me.

It's wood walls (plastered I believe)
Thanks

My guess is you'll have many problems with such low ceilings in a small room such as yours. The corners would most likely present even more problems for you.

When recording live drums, I always try to get the mics closer to the drums than to the ceiling. That would be hard to do in your situation.

yeah my ceilings are the drawback.

If I were to treat the ceilings, would I need to diffuse or to absorb it
for a low ceiling?

yeah I had checkerboard pattern on the walls and the front where the drums are facing has an oriental rug nailed on the wall.

Since the ceilings are low, shouldn't the sound be absorbed?

It's often suggested here that you'll want mostly absorption in small rooms. True reverberation doesn't exist in small rooms, so diffusors have limited value.

Edit: Did a little researching, I guess the main reason that diffusors aren't effective in small rooms is more about how close they are to you. The short distance doesn't give the sound enough time to develop.

If you're recording in the corner, you're at least going to want some bass trapping in that corner.

Back