Recording drums - getting pauses right

Jags

I am about to embark on a drum recording session this weekend. Basically I am hiring out a mixer and mics and the drummer and I will be setting up the drums and recording equipment in a hall which he normally uses to practice in. I have done some drum recording before, so I have a rough idea how and where to set up the mics. The stereo output from the mixer will be going into the single 'line in' input in the back of my laptop, which is far from ideal I know, but we're going to do it for less than £40 so it'll do for now, and shouldn't matter too much as long as i set things up right to start with(!!).

The main problem is this... The drummer has said he doesn't like playing along to a click track. So what I think I intend to do is bring my electric guitar and effects pedal and feed that output into his headphones so he can play along with what I'm doing. But, most of the songs start without drums, so I',m wondering how I will be able to sync up subsequent instrument tracks (we're doing the drums first) with the drum track. Is it a good idea to have a click track that only I can hear so that I'm playing along at the right tempo and he follows me? Also, there are bits in the songs where the drums stop and come back in again. I guess he could keep time by clicking his sticks in these parts, but i'm worried this could interfere with the cymbal decay.

What is the standard method for recording drums, do most drummers play along to a click track?

Thanks for your help

A click track IS very common... and even if you chose not to use one, a beat count-in is essential for overdubs... if the drummer can't play to one, then he'll have to provide the click-track himself during non-drum parts so that everyone else still has a timing reference......

I take it a beat count in is where you have the click track running up until the point where the drummer starts playing? I think i'll try that, and maybe even experiment with getting the drummer to play along to a click track all the way through.

Just have him click the sticks before the song and during parts he's not playing. You can edit them out later.

Without accurate timing from the drummer, everyone else will be struggling to match his mistakes. This is not good.
He should learn to get along with a click or scratch track that is in time. It's not difficult, it just takes a bit of practice.
I'd have to say, if you want a decent result, have him work on playing with a click.

Peace.

Back